Dammit!1

Bob Lipinski

Thanks guys. Yeah... the only CRS I found was 1/4 round and both Lowe's and HD had it.

An easy way to tell is the finish. CRS has a clean finish. HRS has scaling fron the hot finish. Although the small stuff may not follow this, I only carry the CRS, so can't go to the garage & check.

My recent best (as in best I can do now) was a piece of the 3/16" square stock that was 7" long. I found this phenomenally difficult in comparison to the 4.5" piece of 3/16" round so I think it's better steel. How do the timber ties compare? They're thicker but do they bend easier than regular 1/4" round? I doubt I'm ready for any length of 1/4" round until I get down to at least 5" on the square 3/16" stuff.

Edited by Drassk

I think if you do the 3/16 square, you can do the 1/4 round. I didn't think there was much difference.

I think if you do the 3/16 square, you can do the 1/4 round. I didn't think there was much difference.

It must depend on the material, because my results have been very different. I can easily bend 5" x 3/16" square HRS (from Home Depot), but I find 1/4" round very difficult. I still cannot bend 1/4" in less than 5 minutes.

However, Tmmicklabs sent me a piece of zinc coated square 3/16" that is VERY hard, and I was barely able to kink it. It really just depends on the material you get.

Chris is right, it is very dependent on the material. I bought some 1/4" square stock at a hardware store couple weeks ago and can barely kink a 6" piece.