The 195 Kilo Challenge Bar Goes Down

mobsterone

Hi all, am buzzing as I have just got my first 195 kilo David Horne rated challenge bar (unbraced). Hands hurt like hell but the pain is being pushed out by my smug smile. 200 kilos and a certificate here I come. :D

I've done hardly any training on bending other than a IM white and a few 6-inch nails about 8-10 weeks ago. Then 3 weeks ago my order (shared between myself and GB member Steve Aish) arrived and the 155-kg bars etc were tough at first. Wednesday this week I got my first 170 and did my first 175 and 177.5 today. So I thought I'd 'just see how far I can get a 195, even if I just kink it' and blow me if I doesn't get the whole damn thing!!

I have 6 195's left and a handful of 206's so the 206's are the next target.

I do the bending either as a completely seperate workout or after (mostly with the weaker bars) a gripper or grip workout as finishers. The most of any kind of bars I have bent has been 6 of the weakers ones.

I have to say I couldn't beleive how easy the 155 I warmed up on went.

Err not sure how to describe it. Left hand stays close to my chest and my right starts the bend over my left hand thumb. Once it goes enough I change to a chest crush style and finally I will put the whole thing, once it's past 90 degrees, into my right hand and squeeze it down to the requisite 2 inch or closer.

Congratulations Thick Bar Daddy! Seems you're a natural bender! :rock

It gets worse :D Due to my feeling pissed off I changed my mind about doing my whole body workout at the local gym and was home at 8pm. An urgent phone call which lasted 2 hours (domestic crisis between my ex and my daughter) meant I didn't train until 1130pm. So as to not completely waste the evening I did some bars.

165 kilo, 177.5, 195 (again) and ta da a 206 (took me a while). So my new PB is 206 kilos. Come to papa!! :cool

I got a 212.5 and a 240 kilo bar started but only to about 20 degrees - just the initial bend. But it felt good to know that I can get them going.

I don't do any bending but i like to read what others do. Your progress seams remakable. Your gonna have a PR a week if you keep this up. Great stuff, keep posting...

Gamidon,

Lurking in the bending forum is the first step towards bending. Be careful, or my may get drawn in, and you will never be free again. :)

I think, other than the sheer discomfort, that my other grip training and general training helps. I'm very close to being the strongest I have ever been and on some things I am at my best. Training for a competition - The Iron Grip - also helps focus my mind.

Thanks for your comments.

Gamidon,

Lurking in the bending forum is the first step towards bending. Be careful, or my may get drawn in, and you will never be free again. :)

Tus true :p

Further to earlier replies. As much of bending is leverage I do have a very high (British record if not the most - don't know for sure) Weaver stick lift (NB: I only train this for competons and never otherwise) with a little under 9 kilos (I think its 8.55 at the mo). This would help.

Gamidon,

I am lurking because I think bending is cool and would be fun. I am trying not to attempt any of it because I want to move up in the grippers and people have mentioned that bending hurts crush.... So I wait patiently until my crush gets up there to try some bending. I don't have any idea of how to do it, but I have read some descriptions. I guess you have to try it to really understand.

Today - warmed up on a 155 kilo bar I found in the box, then did a 218 and a 220! Did an 8 inch long 8mm bar for fun - easy. I'm having a breather and will be attempting a 230 in 2-3 mins - wish me luck!

Tell me about it. The tops of my forearms where they connect to the bicep (if you know what I mean) are fried as are the palms of my hand. Making such progress in a short time meant that last week I was doing way too much and I have found, for bending anyway, that I cannot do a session any less than 48-60 hours after the last one.

Right now, what with Iron Grip comp training which includes picnh,v bar and grippers etc I am finding that I can, even without any implement at all grip so hard it is almost painful - ie: just clenching a fist. The soft tissue has yet to adapt to the training and weights I am using right now.

As any of you who have doen a 200+ bar will know, even with a warm-up, it is an effort and doesn't get easier until you get the bars to grip crush width - it's tough all the way! :blink

What!! I gotta bend them thin bars too? I love the 8mm. (mehtinks I need leather transplanting onto my hands!).

Steve

Nice progress on the challenge bars so far matey,but with that monstrous weaver and millenium lifting strength it was only a matter of time,looks like your gonna do yourself proud at the Brits again this year.

Thanks Gary - only if I don't do myself an injury first - my forearms are still aching from this morning!

Probably shouild have left it another day as a 220 didn't go tonight. However, I was a gnats ball of a HG 300 left hand and RB 300 right hand after bending the following.

Bending: Stock 6 inch nail to warm up (ask DH about not warming up - he's hurt his sternum), 165 kg, 220 x failed (started it and that's it), 206 kg and 165 kg to finish.

Grippers: CoC 1 x a few reps both hands, CoC 2 x 1-2 both hands, several attempts and timed holds and negatives HG 300 L/H inc almost closed and CoC 3 x 2 x 1 and then almost closed a RB 300 R/H inc timed holds and negatives.

I've asked DH to certify me (boom boom) at the OH dinner, this coming Saturday, where he's being awarded the Muscle Mob (my mag) Strength award (voted for by readers - and I've got to read the speech) and I'm get the OH ambassador award! :D

Steve

Hope the gripper attempts were all done to the credit card :D

Have a great time at the OHF,wish i could be there!And good luck on the Bar Cert i know you can do it.