Warm Up

ccjohnso

What does everybody do to warm up? The other day I was doing some higher rep squats grabbed my #2 which I hadn't closed yet and came about half a centimeter from closing it. So I did two more sets of squats a little heavier grabbed the #2 again and closed it for the first time. What does everyone think did the squats somehow prime my nervous system? Anyone with similar experiences

I've never tried that so far but will after reading your post. I normally will just squeeze my hand hard or crunch up some newspaper. I rarely do any 'hard' warmups with the grippers.

A heavy set of a multi joint exercise always primes me for grippin or bendin.

Nothing beats heavy squats as warmup for grippers IMO.

I do very little gripper work, so keep that in mind, but I have found that I need almost no warm-up to perform well with them - as long as my hands feel "OK" I just go after it.

i always do the best on grip stuff after squatting...some form of squatting, even just hindu squats, is absolutely essential for me to bend or lever.

i think they just get the blood flowing well and get you in the mental set to do difficult things.

jeff

Nothing beats heavy squats as warmup for grippers IMO.

Or deadlifts.

I agree.

Working grip in between exercises or immediately after...you'll find you are "stronger" the majority of the time.

well, ive never tried them after a squatting workout, but after my back workouts which consist of a lot of barbell stuff with 1 hand and other challenging things, i find that my grip is fried for a couple hours...

well, ive never tried them after a squatting workout, but after my back workouts which consist of a lot of barbell stuff with 1 hand and other challenging things, i find that my grip is fried for a couple hours...

You need to increase the capacity of your grip strength.

well, if yanking the hell out of barbells with one hand cleans and deadlifts for hours and doing heavy overhand grip deadlifts leaves YOUR hands fresh and ready to go and do grippers right after, be my guest

I don't think doing a stuff with a barbell affects my grippers too bad. Not even one handed deadlifts. One thing that does is a lot of tire flipping.

I don't like doing any warm up. I like haveing my hands the way they are and it seems to work fine for me. I do this because I must have weak hands or something because after deadlifting or rolling thunder, my hands are gone. It's much more then a warm-up.

This morning since it was rather cold and I was working out first thing, I decided to change things up a little. Normally I don't do alot of cardiovascular training since I walk all over town because parking is too difficult. But today I decided to do 5 minutes of cycling before hitting the weights.

Typically I will do light stretching before hitting the weights.

Hot water/dexterity balls/trainer squeezes/25lb block hold. Any combo of this usually get my hands ready for anything.

-HH

The only thing that fries my grip for a while is heavy wristroller work.

Oh John! You have my interest now!! Tell me more... :D:cool