New Hex Type Db's!

dubthewonderscot

Hey guys,

Just went to Academy here in Fort Worth, Texas to buy some chalk for this saturdays DFW grip extravaganza and one of the first things I saw thrilled me. It looks as though Cap Barbell (i'm assuming this is the manufacturer as they are the prime supplier for Academy) has a new model of their hex dumbells that is a hex head, but rather than flat sides the sides are rounded like a blob. The heaviest one they had was a 30 and it was much harder than a regular hex 30 just trying it there on the rack. (they frown slightly on me walking in with a hacksaw)

I will keep you guys updated on what I found out.

W

Sounds interesting. I'll look online for those

I chopped a 70# hex a couple weeks ago that I bought at Gaylons that had kind of "domed" or curved sides. Also very slick paint job. The 35# head is tough to lift.

i looked for these online, but couldn't find pics. how much did you pay for yours? i wonder how the curve campares to the Blob.

I don't have an actual York Blob but I have the PDA loadable Blobbette. The curve is somewhat different on the new hex but it's enough to make it more similiar than the old flat sided ones. It's a good bit harder - the York and the PDA blobs have some surface texture while the new hex is a super slick paint job. Between the paint and the curve, these new hexs are a good bit more difficult. I bought mine at Gaylons in Columbus, Ohio and they didn't have a brand name or any markings on them so I don't know who actually made them. My flat sided ones are CAP brand. Oh, I paid 37 cents per #.

Edited by climber511

Ok boys,

Talked to the manager of the Academy and found out they were made by TKO fitness.

I searched on the internet and finally found them.

http://www.tkogear.com/TKO_STRENGTH/fit_strdumbb.html

take a look.

better than a normal hex you think?

W

Very nice looking. Like a hex but with the convex sides that make yorks oh so fun

• 4 weeks later...

GUYS!!!

I just spoke with the owner of this company and due to the highprice of scrap metal and that now these products are being made overseas, they have stopped production of these dumbells. I luckily called him at the right time and he has about 33,000# pounds that he is about to dumb. He told me he will sell at ten cents a pound!

I Repeat, 10 cents a pound! I will be in Houston on May 1st, and will pick up dumbells for people who may be interested.

He is going to get back with me on what dumbells he has, 50's, 60's, etc.

One side note, they are rusted. (fine for grip work and garage warriors) I will be buying a lot for myself and will be happy to help you guys out as well. I will let you guys know what is available and anyone interested let me know, we can figure out shipping and boom, blobs for everyone on the cheap!

W

wt qty total wt

813THX 3 40 pieces 120 lbs.

813THX 5 386 pieces 1930 lbs.

813THX 8 83 pieces 664 lbs.

813THX 10 622 pieces 6220 lbs.

813THX 12 456 pieces 5472 lbs.

813THX 15 543 pieces 8145 lbs.

813THX 20 307 pieces 6140 lbs.

813THX 25 255 pieces 6375 lbs.

813THX 30 3 pieces 90 lbs.

813THX 35 0 pieces 0 lbs.

813THX 40 1 piece 40 lbs.

813THX 55 2 pieces 165 lbs.

813THX 65 14 pieces 1105 lbs.

813THX 70 1 piece 70 lbs.

813THX 75 1 pieces 300 lbs.

I'm calling dibs on 3 of the 75's, 3 of the 65's, 1 55, and 1 40. I wish the quantity was reversed. (allready removed from spreadsheet)

He is offering .10 per pound, .07 per pound if I take all 36,716 pounds. lol

Edited by dubthewonderscot