What Are The Odds?

gerryg

I have been reading on the gripboard about "easy" and "hard" coc grippers so I bought a second coc#2 hoping to have a "easy" and "hard" gripper!Guess what,I don't feel a difference!They both feel the same!Anyone else come across this?

also read on PDA's website abou ta seasoned gripper, that can make a gripper feel easy or not

For me the majority of the ironmind grippers feel about the same. Although I have seen some extremely easy and hard 3's. I have squeezed about 20 3's and maybe 4 were obviously different then the majority.In my opinion Ironmind does a great job with their grippers!

Austin :rock

I used to think the thing about their being easy 3s was in people's minds. I had closed about 7 or 8 and they all felt the same to me. I have now probably closed about 15 or so and have seen some fairly big discrepancies with a couple of them. I've had the same experience as Austin. Most are the same, but some fall outside the range on one side or ther other. The two I have are virtually identical. I recently traded one of mine with a friend who said his was hard. It is quite a bit harder than the other ones I have tried--it feels closer to my Elite than it does to most other 3s I've tried. Oddly this one is a 2004. Some of this could be that it is not seasoned. I'll break it in and see how it compares.

Edited by rbrown

Differences become more apparent as one approaches his or her 1RM.....if you're working at a range of say, for example, 60% of your 1 RM, these differences are harder to discern..much harder!

yea i plan to buy another set of the IM grippers, for a larger variety hopefully. But, from an economical perspective, i hope i don't until the 2005 come out.

i got an old IM #3 gripper back from 98 or 99. i didn't take grip too seriously then as i do now.

i got another #3 that is 2003. i can't close either of them but both are tough, although the 2003 one feels slightly more difficult.

I've tried alot fo grippers. I'm always squeezing them at Warren's and I don't think I've ever found two that were the same. All of my IM's are noticable differant.

Differences become more apparent as one approaches his or her 1RM.....if you're working at a range of say, for example, 60% of your 1 RM, these differences are harder to discern..much harder!

I think this is a very good point.

I think this is a very good point.

Likewise - hence the way Michael has graded his grippers for the LCG.

I spoke with Mr. Tetting last week about trying to find a gripper between the 2 and the 3. You guys were right, just asking that question encouraged him to pass on to me some usefull information.

1. Variances in grippers are unavoidable. This is by Warren Tettings words, not my own. I have no clue about making grippers, nor claim as such. But Mr. Tetting says the reason they are unavoidable is that when the springs are wound, and then put in the oven to temper, some springs will be in the middle of the oven, some off to one side, etc. So the heating and tempering of the springs is not something that can be uniform. He said in small grippers this difference is not very noticeable, but the more powerfull the springs, the greater the variance. I.e. 5% of 100 pounds is not as noticeable as 5% of say 300. He said even his grippers will have a variance.

Anyways, just wanted to pass on the words of the man himself.

Thanks

W