Brookfield's Article On Bending The Red

Bill Piche

With the invention of the internet any fool can be the be all and end all - check the bodybuilding boards for the 400lb 3% b/fat monsters curling 200 pounds in each hand if you'e not sure.

Now I'm "too busy getting ready to be a legend"  :tongue

Just call the Guiness book of world records and claim something :laugh:laugh

It is this EZ to be the strongest and the biggest....or you can just write about yourself.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amaury

• Mikael Siversson

• Bill Piche

• jad

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Austin,

He bends nails, 1/2" iron bars, and demonstrates scrolling. Gives safety tips, etc. In one demo he does speed bending on a 60 penny nail.  Wish he would have done the red nail myself. I'm curious as to how much of a struggle it is for him. 

John D.

Brookfield can't bend a Red unbraced, so he is unlikely to demonstrate on a video.

The most likely reason he favors the "double overhand at the waist" style for his Red bends is it allows him to start the bend with a quick push against his hip and then finish the bend unbraced. We definitely waste too much effort lionizing a professional performer.

Regarding upperbody strength and bending: For me it is only a factor in the final crush down. The initial bend is all wrist, if I am doing it right.

I'd like to see any of the current Red benders start their Red with just

"a quick push" against their hip and then finish it (until your hands get in the way) with the double overhand at the waist. I'm not saying the other Red benders can't do it buy I'd sure like to see it. Yeah, I'd like to see someone kink a Red enough in a split second push on their hip to finish it(until your hands get in the way) double overhand at the waist. Oh, and let me get this straight, people using the Holle style can use their chin and chest to brace it but "quick push" on the hip makes the bend a breeze? We should probably disqualify all of his bends because he does bend with his hands at his waist and I think it's highly probable that for a least a split second the nail could have dipped below waist level which of course gives him a HUGE advantage and negates his bend according to our rules. Gosh, he just isn't in compliance with many of our rules at all, I guess he really is overated :D I understand rules are important but none of the MM1 guys were disqualified for setting the gripper deeper than 1 inch(which they shouldn't have been) but we're willing to discount JB's ability as a bender because he's supposedly starts his bends with "a quick push on his hip"?? I think we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this one guys.

Tom, I think your posts are already legendary :D

I haven't read the article and can't comment on the specifics, but it truly amazes me how much Brookfield bashing goes on here. If it wasn't for him, 90+ percent of us wouldn't even know that serious grip training existed. MOHS is the bible of grip, and yet people are ready to sell him down the river if they disagree with him.

I just find it kind of sad. The guy has given more to the world of grip than just about anyone. So what if his goals are different? So what if he doesn't feel the need to impress the gripboard and all his doubters? He's put out 2 great books, puts up a tip of the month, each month, and has developed the majority of grip exercises and training devices. What more can you ask of the guy?

Again, I haven't read the article, but I think we should all lighten up on Brookfield. And Kinney. And the Holles. And Strossen, etc. Without these guys, there wouldn't be much of a grip world.

Again, I haven't read the article, but I think we should all lighten up on Brookfield. And Kinney. And the Holles. And Strossen, etc.  Without these guys, there wouldn't be much of a grip world.

Your extrapolation is amazing here. I guess it's time to close this one. The original post was about Brookfield putting down the up and comers who can bend a red.