Ivanko Sg - To Buy Or Not To Buy

raziel

I've been reading on this board about the Ivanko Super Gripper and have been hearing its praises. I'm on the verge of picking up an Ivanko for myself. I really like its multiple increments, and it'll save me some money so i don't have to buy so many "inbetween" grippers.

My question is, does anyone have any complaints about the device?

Portability compared to grippers might be one complaint, does anyone else have any other experience or stories? thanks.

I really like my SG and think you will not be disappointed with it either.

It's a nice piece of equipment ! :)

The ISG was the first tool I bought to train crush, it gave me the base of strength to close my RB160 the day I got it (not earth shattering I know, but I wouldn't has done it without the ISG). I have enough torsion spring grippers now that I do not use it for crush (I do plan to go back to it at some point though).

However I have found it to be an excelent tool for dynamic thumb strength, I think it is a big factor in my improving pinch strength.

For just a bit more than the price of a single gripper, I say buy it.

Edited by wsm_fan_uk

I love mine and wish I used it more. ALot of guys have used it successfully, Gorrilla hands, Robert Brown and others. Great tool

Austin

Definately worth it. You should get one. It is a nice way to gauge your strength improvements since some increments are five pounds or less to the next level up.

It also gives you a break from your coc type grippers. Get one!!!!!!!!!!

It has a lot of versatility. You can use it in either position to emphasize the index -middle fingers in the first picture or ring and pinky fingers in the second See:-

Gorilla hands:

http://www.geocities.com/hannibaldave/Rillapics2.html

Nathan Holle

http://www.cyberpump.com/albums/album01/aci.thumb.jpg

You can easily use the other hand to assist in positioning negatives or move your hand

toward the pivot for more resistance as BarBender describes in his inner and outer 1 to 3 spring calculator that lists resistance with various spring settings. I don't know how

accurate the poundages are but the relative difficulty of the different spring settings

seems right on to me.

BarBenders Calculator

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/mathgod/sg/supergripper.html

The many adjustments possible also allow the thumb and the individual finger combinations to be trained with one device. There is the possibility to add more springs that would add up to enough resistance to challange the strongest person.

I don't think there is a more versatile spring gripper for the money.

I have had one for ages. At first I did not like it, and then one day I picked it up and it felt good and I was able to do well on it. No idea why.

Its because you have BIG hands :tongue:tongue:tongue

I was thinking of buying the ISG too.

A few questions:

How many spring does it include???

How do I get more springs if I ever get all the settings?

How does the difficulty compare with the COCs?

Any carryover to COC training?

Thanks in advance.

Easy to get more springs. I bought 2 from Weightlifters Warehouse. I now have 4 on my S G to give my large paw something to do. :blink. I will not say why there are not just 3 springs being used.

PDA seems to have the best price for the ISG, but weightlifters

seems to have the best price for additional springs......

What are Ivanko's prices?

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/homegym/supergripper.html

$2.50 a spring but murder on shipping.

http://www.wwfitness.com/ivanko.html

$3.50 a spring, don't know how they are on shipping and handling costs.

http://www.fractionalplates.com/cgibin/eda...&catalogno=9.12

$7.00 a spring but shipping is free with a gripper which is $19.99. This is from PDA at

the top of the board. They offer a gallery for those who can close a gripper purchsased from them at the highest setting and a one spring prize for a one hand close and a free gripper if you can do it with either hand.

The ISG is the best bang for the buck IMO! I have only 2 minor objections:

(1) Handle cross section is poorly shaped, causing handles to "cut" into my hand at heavy settings. You can creatively add padding if you want.

(2) The ISG could be designed to be more compact (and thus more portable) by thickening the spring wire diam, decreasing the coil diam, and reducing the "length". It could still retain flexibility. However, this modification might not be appropriate for large hands.

It would be great if Ivanko would research these issues and update the design.

I got mine years ago and I still use it and like it alot. IMHO, you don't need more than just the two springs unless they lose their "springyness" or you just use it a lot. Putting the two spirings at the highest setting will give you enough resistance!

Thanks for all the feedback! I just put my order in with PDA. I hope FedEx gets it here this week.

Is there a way to keepthe springs from getting slack?

Or maybe prolong their useful "life"?

Thanks in advance

You need to always move the handle away from its working position when it is not in use, it is moveable side-to-side as well as up & down. This takes the pressure off the springs.

BTW, I recommend getting it also. It is great for negatives & thumb work. I tried putting athletic tape on it because it is too slippery for my taste, but switched to sandpaper and prefer how that feels.

Edited by odin

I cannot see the S G sprngs getting slack. They do not get stretched very far, and there is no need for high reps with grip training.

PDA got me the ISG in about 3 days. Incredible!

This thing is quite a sweet piece of equipment