"inch"ing It Up

Clay Edgin

Bad pun, I know.

Last night I fully deadlifted my 172lb Inch replica for the first time! I bought the bell back in early January and it has taken over a month and a half to finally lift it, but it was really cool to see that thing get some major airtime. Once I had it to lockout, I couldn't hold it very long and it fell 3 feet onto a pair of dense rubber workshop mats I've got sitting under it. If I didn't have those mats there, I would have surely messed something up!

I was having a hard time lifting it with the scoop (thumbless) grip, so I started trying to clamp down on the bell with my thumb pointing straight down so I would basically be pinching it. I finally developed enough thumb strength to keep it in my hand.

What I did to train with it was what I call "Inch negatives" I'd grab the handle with one hand, and touch my other hand lightly against one of the globes to keep it from spinning. Then I'd lift the thing off the ground and let go of the bracing hand and try to hang on for dear life. I got it to NOT spin out of my hand less than a week ago, and then last night it finally went up cleanly without the aid of my other hand.

My training partner Shawn (who will be on the board soon) has also lifted it to about knee level on several occasions even though he's only tried lifting it on about 5 different occasions. He and I have the same hand size (8") but when he wraps his hand around the handle his middle fingertip and thumb are only about 1/4" away, whereas when I do it my finger tips are about 1" away! I think it's because my hand is thicker than his though.

Anyways I'm rambling as usual. Thought I'd share. Video to come soon.

Awesome work, Clay!! :rock