Grade 5 Bend

David Ostlund

After I certified on the 220k bar last Saturday I asked Chris if he had any grade 5 bolts on hand. He said that the grade 5's are about equivalent to a 230k bar and I felt that the 220k went down pretty easy so I figured I was going to murder the grade 5. I got it wrapped and then put in a huge effort and did not even kink it. Fast forward to last night, I just received a box of 100 grade 5's to train with for Feats with Hands and felt I needed to start bending some of these now if I want to get through the box by August. Jeff Peterson and I were at my girlfriend's house last night and he convinced me to try one. After struggling with it for about five minutes and nearly blacking out a couple time I finally bent it. About five minutes later I went for another and absolutely murdered it in about 15 seconds. What a difference confidence makes. Bolts are also a lot springier than anything I've ever bent before. 2 down and 98 to go for August.

Excellent going, well done! Did my first 7" M6 bend today (small potatoes compared, I know) and it's a great feeling when you "move up a scale", ain't it?

Awesome job on the grade 5! :mosher

Great Job David!

This just brings home the fact that I have to get off my can A** and get to work on the FWH events.

Great Job man...I have been struggling with the grade 5's, can kink them to about 25 degrees and thats it...keep killing my wrist....keep up the good work...Brett

Congratulations David!

Yes, the grade 5's and 8's are very springy, unlike the grade 2's. I agree that the grade 5 "feels" about like a 230 bar, though it may actually take less weight to bend, this springiness fights against you and gives the feel of atleast a 230. I think the main obstacle posed by the tougher bolts is the fact that as you bend them down to the point where your hands start to get in the way of eachother you discover that as you release the pressure, the bolt kicks back to a wider angle. This means you have to make do crushing it down with less than optimum leverage. I like the Challenge Bars. They stay put! :laugh

David, you gotta be real close to the 240 bar now!

Edited by EricMilfeld

Thanks everybody.

Eric,

I've only ever tried the 220k bar, but I contacted David Horne today about getting some. Until then I'll just keep levering and working on more grade 5's.

You guys just keep raising the bar. I'm going to have to buckle down if you plan on havings 100 grade 5's bent by feats with hands!

It was pretty sweet to see him struggle on the first one. Only to see him just crank the next bolt down. Once he knew he could bend them they never stood a chance. I want to see what he can do with the challange bars.

After I certified on the 220k bar last Saturday I asked Chris if he had any grade 5 bolts on hand. He said that the grade 5's are about equivalent to a 230k bar

First off Congrats on the bend. Very impresive.

I have some questions about the 220K bar.

220K converted to pounds is 485lbs. The red nail is listed to be about 400lbs to bend. How are these challenge bar weights determined? What is the Challenge Bar equilivant to the Red Nail?

I have been bending the Grade 5s unbraced for some time and just recently put a kink in the red.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure this info is posted on the site somewhere, but I figured maybe one of you guys could break it down for me.

Thanks

David Stewart

New Castle Delaware

David, the 220 K rating for the Challenge bar is obtained by a 70 degree bend, whereas the 400 lb. rating for a Red was obtained by bending the nail until 1/4" of air was created under the bar, measured with the nail laying on a table.

In both cases, they were tested by picking up weight with hands on either sides of the bar, which was inserted through the ring of a loading pin.

David, the 220 K rating for the Challenge bar is obtained by a 70 degree bend, whereas the 400 lb. rating for a Red was obtained by bending the nail until 1/4" of air was created under the bar, measured with the nail laying on a table.

Thanks for the explanation, but...

Do you know how many Lbs. or Kg it takes to get the red to 70 degrees?

I think this comparison is important so as individuals we can compare our progress and ability to that of the elite benders.

If this info is posted somewhere, please include a link.

Thanks again

From talking to people who have bent both the Red and challenge bars, I've gotten the impression that a Red is probably somewhere around 280-290k, take that with a grain of salt, because that's just my guesstimates from hearing them talk about how a 270k went down vs. their Red attempts/bends.

David Horne has tested Reds ranging from, if I remember correctly, 245 to 270 K. But guys who have bent the Red are telling us they "feel" even tougher than a 270 bar, so C Munger's estimate is probably correct as far as letting us know which Challenge Bar must be conquered before a Red can be bent.