Just Finished A Presentation On Bending

Dumnorix

A speaking class at my college requires us to do a "how-to" presentation, and mine was today. I decided that I would teach them how to bend nails. I bent a 3/16 piece of HRS, a 60d 12 twist timber tie, a 40d common, a 20d coated, and a housekey (which broke). When I give presentations, I am nervous anyway, and this one was nerve racking because I didn't know if they would be bendable. The benefit of the nervousness was a huge strength boost - all of them went as easily as I can remember. The audience reaction was priceless. I'm just glad they don't know the stuff you guys bend. :D

Thank you Bender for the webpage (which started me), David Horne for the video and Gripboard!

Yeah. It's hard to remember sometimes that what we take here for granted is actually quite a feat.

I didn't really think the #3 close was worth much, til I saw my otherwise strong training partner struggle with the #1.

I didn't think tearing a pack of cheap cards was much, til I saw most people fail.

Very cool! Congratulations on a successful presentation. :mosher

Nicely done. I'm always worried when I bend stuff for people that they'll be able to bend it too because it seems easy. I forget that what is commonplace here is exceptional in the rest of the world.

I did the same thing in Speech, only on strongman. Brought in harness, grippers, and some pics. Was fun. I can imagine they liked the nail bending and now you'll get a little more respect I'm sure. I always liked at parties carrying in a keg and pressing it for a few reps, never had any problems after doing stuff like that. Good job spreading the word.

Good stuff!

I'm just glad they don't know the stuff you guys bend

You'll get there soon enough. I think we hold ourselves to a much higher standard because of the board. Atleast I know I do. I look at things like #3 closes and grade 5 bends as not being a big deal. Sometimes I have to take a step back and say "chris, these guys are some of the best in the world", and realize that I am doing pretty good in the grip department.

Nice one, Dumnorix. I have only just started bending and I'm currently using 4" (20d) common nails between 90lb (which I can V) and 150lb (which I can't). Nothing spectacular, certainly not compared to the monsters on this board, but even such modest bends can impress my muggle friends. My daughter (5 years old) has even suggested taking me to "show and tell" to amaze her classmates. I can't wait until I can actually bend something impressive. I'm sure your presentation was hugely entertaining - I know I'd have enjoyed it. =) Good luck with your future bending.

What a great idea for a presentation! I wonder if any of those in the audience caught the bug.