Bent My First Timber Tie

tmmicklabs

Chrisof4 was kind enough to send me a care package yesterday with some various bolts and nails in it. One of the included items was a menacing looking 60d 8 twist timber tie. I did what any bendaholic would do and wrapped it up in my shop cloth and gave it hell. It took me about 60 seconds but I won. This sucker was a good workout. Much harder than a 5 inch carriage bolt but not quite as hard as a 7 inch cut of 1/4 zinc coated steel rod. I had to go slow due to having a chunk of skin still missing from last friday when I decided to bend 20 various nails and bolts back to back.

Here is a pic of the timber tie I bent.

60d 8 Twist Timber Tie

Great job. Keep up the good work. You gotta love the variance factor when it comes to bending. I bent a 5 inch carriage bolt over the weekend and it was a TON harder than my TT's. My brother also gave me some 60d polebarns that I could only kink. I can snap my 60dpolebarns all day long so you can imagine my surprise. Keep bending.

Well done !! How do these nails compare to the IM nails ?

Way to go :rock

The 8 twist timber tie from Lowe's falls smack dab inbetween the Green Nail and the Yellow Nail from Ironmind.

I just got into bending over the weekend, and I found the timber ties to be tough, but not too bad. The yellow on the other hand is a real bastard. I fought it for 10 mins, but just barely kinked it. I was pretty worn out from some PRs, but I couldn't believe how hard it was. My timber ties might have been easier than yours, but let me know how the yellow feels to you.

Edited by ianders1

I just got into bending over the weekend, and I found the timber ties to be tough, but not too bad. The yellow on the other hand is a real bastard. I fought it for 10 mins, but just barely kinked it. I was pretty worn out from some PRs, but I couldn't believe how hard it was. My timber ties might have been easier than yours, but let me know how the yellow feels to you.

Ian,

The yellow is a real bastard for me.

I can't even dent it yet.

The 12 twist TT are harder than the 8 twist. Keep that in mind if you find a box of different twist, pick it up. I bought lowe's last box of 12, all they have is 8 now and that last box looked like it had been through hell. My 8 twists are a little harder than 6.5" 1/4 HRS, maybe about 6-6.25" ish, but the 12 are harder still. The dull 60d seem to be easier than the shiny 60d (regular 60d, not TT or pole). Good luck and build volume to prevent injury.

OK, Here comes a dumb question..... I have a box of timber ties from Home Depot, how do I count the twists per nail? Do I hold it along an edge and count how many grooves there are, or do I try to spin it and see how many times it revolves from top to bottom? Thanks guys!

Ian,

The yellow is a real bastard for me.

I can't even dent it yet.

Good luck with the yellow then, as well. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow. Also, Mike P, the timber ties I've got (courtesy of BulletTooth) are the 12 twist ones from Home Depot. They are moderate to kink, then a little tough until about 20 degrees, then fairly easy until the last 2 inches or so.

Also Z-Man, just lay the TT on it's side and count the twists.

I'll let you guys know how my battle with the yellow goes tomorrow.

Good question, Z-man. This one took me a while to figure out also. Just hold the nail in front of you, and begin counting down the nail everytime a depression is created by a twist. Do this in a straight line from the head to the point. The # of depressions = the # of twists per nail AS WE REFER TO THEM.

Now, this is absolutely incorrect in terms of actual twists per nail. If you follow one side of the square nail all the way around, you will find that the nail is only twisted approximately two times.

I hope that helps.

Travis, congrats on your new bend!

I was given some TT's atleast as tough as the blue. They were no bigger than the one you bent, but much duller in color. I haven't been able to locate these in my area as of yet. I wish I could.

Razorman,

I can give you the SKU for the 5lb box when I get home, but someone else will have to provide the SKU for the 30lb tub.

WATCH OUT! Tmmicklabs bought a 15lb bucket of timber ties today, and then found out they were different. His were 5-twist/TT and he could not even budge them.

I brought some of the Timber Ties into work today to show a guy, but he's out sick. Sitting here reading this post, I thought why not go ahead and bend a few. Certainly more exciting than what I'm working on, and it's a little more challenging to do sitting down in my cube!

Don't know the SKU, it's from the 5lb box (12 twists) from Home Depot -that's all I know.

RE: Don't know the SKU, it's from the 5lb box (12 twists) from Home Depot -that's all I know.

The problem is, you go into Home Depot:

Orange Apron Guy: Hey, zer sumthin weekin helpya find?

Me: I'm looking for timber ties.

OAG: Fer what?

Me: Timber ties.

OAG: Water they?

Me: Some nail kinda thing.

OAG: Well, we have these 12d nails, over here, that watcher lookin for?

Me: No, I'm looking for TIMBER TIES.

OAG: I don't know what they are. Are they 20d nails?

etc. etc. etc. leading to something making less sense than...

Hey Abbott! You see, if I'm gonna be playin on da team, I need ta know da playiz names. Whose on foist whats on second i dunno's on thoid, that's watt i wanna foind out i say whose on foist whats on second i dunno's on thoid aw you da manajih yeah den you know da player's names yeah den tell me who's playin thoid who is on first i'm nod askin ya who's on foist i dunno thoid base....

at that point I just walk out shaking my head....

so if I could just walk in saying find me SKU # 020040502555, then he'd say "oh, we don't carry that, but I can get you that by next Thursday."

Edited by Razorman

Home Depot Timber Ties

5#Box says "Hot Galv Timber Tie", Nails 60d 6"

Green Sticker

Part # 6HGTT5

SKU 764666178496

Adding to the information from GordonV, those are Grip-Rite brand, manufactured by PrimeSource.

Home Depot Timber Ties

5#Box says "Hot Galv Timber Tie", Nails 60d 6"

Green Sticker

Part # 6HGTT5

SKU 764666178496

Those sound like the ones I'm using. Bent the 4 I brought today - I managed to get one down to 1/2" That was kinda painful, but fun! Those last 2 inches are tough!

I posted some photos of my TT boxes and nails. (Hope it works) They vary alot like all nails. I am bending about 15-20 5 twist TT a session now. The 8 twist are much harder, just bought the box thinking they would be easier and I could start bending them behind my back. Not so. I Bent the 2 12 twists that I found on the shelf @ Lowe's and they were easy. I tested the 12 @ 180# and the 5 twist @ 225#. I just tested the 8's for this post and they bend @ 270#! As you can see, a huge difference in weight using the same loading pin and method to test. Also, the number on top of the box is identical. 7 64666 17849 6 So basically you just have to get em and try em. I take a cloth with me and try one right in the store before I buy. Good luck guys.

Nails

tmmicklabs that's a pretty impressive shave for the #1 on page 8 how did you do it like that

just patients and a chainsaw sharpener or a tool.

tmmicklabs that's a pretty impressive shave for the #1 on page 8 how did you do it like that

just patients and a chainsaw sharpener or a tool.

Monstrosity,

My Grandpa has some sort of little hand held buzz saw device that he used to shave it down. It is very hard to close that # 1 now but I can do it left handed. You've gotta grip it up high so your fingers don't get in the way on the crush.