Hex Blob Questions

Michael_B

To all of you who have made your own block weights from dumbbells...what did you use to cut through the bar? I'm using a hacksaw at the moment, but it's taking forever. It'd probably go faster with a file than this, but I've misplaced my file, so I haven't been able to try.

How long does it usually take for you guys to cut off both sides?

To all of you who have made your own block weights from dumbbells...what did you use to cut through the bar? I'm using a hacksaw at the moment, but it's taking forever. It'd probably go faster with a file than this, but I've misplaced my file, so I haven't been able to try.

How long does it usually take for you guys to cut off both sides?

It should take less than 10 mins.... I would have to question

you about your hacksaw :)

A few hacksaw tips... Use an 18T blade. (18 teeth per inch) The blade

package will have this printed on it.

Make sure your blade is mounted in the hacksaw correctly. The correct

position is with the blade teeth facing forward.

You cut with a push stroke only and use the full length of the blade.

Try and have the DB anchored and immobile when cutting.

Dab some 3-in-1 oil on the cutting surface every few minutes

Go to a hardware store and rent a portaband saw. It cost me about 20$ for a whole day but i split the cost w/ a friend who also needed some dumbells cut. The PBS cut through about 6 or 7 dumbells (12 or 14 cuts in all) in about 15 minutes or less. It's basically a motorized hacksaw. Though once you cut through one side make sure you have a vice or another way of stabalizing the other half of the DB.

Zcor - you must have some freakish hacksaw or a v-8 in your shoulder if you cut through your dumbell in under 10 min. It took me about 30 with a generic hacksaw.

Zcor - you must have some freakish hacksaw or a v-8 in your shoulder if you cut through your dumbell in under 10 min. It took me about 30 with a generic hacksaw.

Ha...you so funny :) I have a Heavy Duty Industrial use hacksaw made

by Klein. I use Kleins' high carbon steel blades ( Klein blades are a little

more costly than others) and I use blades by Nicholson.

I just did a time test on cutting a 1 and 3/16 inch dia. piece of coldrolled

round stock and cut it in 1 min 30 seconds........... You have to use 18T

blades to cut steel round stock

A cut on a 2 inch diameter round stock will take me few more minutes though :)

I guess it is from years of cutting round stock with a hacksaw that has helped.

You work the hacksaw and don`t let the hacksaw work you :)

It is a real hand work out cutting 4 and 4 1/2 inch round stock too!

Which I do for fun and make small weight plates

I cheated and bought a blade for cutting metal for my sawzall. It worked great.

I use an 18T Nicholson Bi-Metaloy blade. They were the cheapest 18T blades I could find. Works great. I can get through a York dumbbell in about three minutes. I don't use any oil but I've had a lot of practice. A really strong downstroke will cut the time down for you.

BC.

I cheated and bought a blade for cutting metal for my sawzall. It worked great.

Ha... I have a sawzall as well, but I`m just an old school guy and do it the

hardway. :)

I tell you one thing, cutting a 4 inch dia coldrolled will blow your arm up

quick, especially the medial tricep

10 minutes!? Whoa. Yeah, my saw must suck. I dunno what kind of blade it is, but it broke twice when I got out of the groove a little bit when I was sawing, so I was forced to use a dinky 3 inch piece to prevent it.

10 minutes....I've probably spent about 2 or 3 hours' worth actually sawing it so far (actually several hours if you count breaks). I'm about 2/3 of the way through now. I actually took it outside last night to see if I could break it against the asphalt. :whacked

On the other hand, it HAS made for a good workout, though. My thumbs are totally fried.

I thought I had a nice hacksaw. But my dumbell schooled me on that. I ended up breaking out the sawzall also. Worked great.

After about 5minutes w/ my crappy hacksaw blade, I called it a night. Next day I borrowed my friend's Sawzall, took about 5 minutes for both sides! Long live power tools :D

It took me awhile. I think around 30 minutes. But it was a cheap 4 for $1 blade. When I finished, I noticed the teeth were worn down to nearly nothing. I didn't really care. It was a good forarm workout and cost me nothing...

FYI if you do care, buy the more expensive blades. Too me it's a waste of $$, but I'm a mega-cheapskate!

I use a combo of hacksaw/reciprocating power saw to cut those stupid Yorks I have. I'll have to update my hacksaw after what I've just read... :(

Get a metal cutting blade for your circular saw and then take off the bottom guide. Works great, takes about 5 seconds to cut through the bar. You can also clean up any that u missed very quickly. Ive got a porter cable circ saw for reference.....Blade is less than 5 bucks....Brett