U'd The 7" X 1/4" Hrs

chrisof4

I have been working up to this since the first of January, and tonight, I had a major bending breakthrough. I finally U'd the 7" x 1/4" HRS. :rock

This one has been kicking my butt! I almost got it last weekend, but ran out of gas at about 25 degrees. So this week, I rested up, healed up, and gave it another go tonight. It took over five minutes, but once I got it past 70 degrees it was all over.

Thanks to everyone for their help, encouragement, and recommendations. It is all paying off! :cool

Congratulations Chris!!! :rock

Keep up the good work!

Edited by br765

Congratulations on your exciting accomplishment Chris!

Stay hungry! :rock

That's awsome Chris! You should hang it up on your wall or something as a memento. I hung my 7x1/4 CRS up in my parents living room next to all the family portraits. How does the rod you just bent compare to the nails your father in law bends?

mANVIL, the 7" x 1/4" HRS is way easier than my father-in-law's 60D commons. Based on bendind charts I have seen, the 7" x 1/4" HRS is somewhere between an Ironmind Green and a Yellow. I have seen some charts that put the 7" x 1/4" HRS above the Yellow, but these same charts put the timber tie below the 7" x 1/4" HRS, and I cannot bend a timber tie yet. These same charts put the 60D common somewhere around an Ironmind Blue.

The bottom line, nail hardness varies WIDELY depending on manufacturer, and I am sure many other factors.

Everyone, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. My style and form were very sloppy. I want to improve my form with this grade of bending stock before I try to move on. My next goal is to bend the same steel (7" x 1/4" HRS), using only the double-overhand style, and keeping my hands in front of my chest (vs. over my head or below my waist). I hope I can accomplish this by the end of March.

Congrats! Keep going and the blues equal will fall.

Hoorah Devil Dog!