Crs Vs. Hrs

BJones

As a new bender and someone very bitten by the bug I have been reading a lot of the posts and information here and at other sites (Bender's site for example - great site)

I have seen some contradictory statements - Is CRS harder that HRS?

The IronMind bag of nails - CRS or HRS - I am assuming CRS.

Also - when you go into hardware stores to buy steel rods - should they all know which are HRS vs. CRS?

Bought 4 rods this morning - zinc coated - no clue whether they are HRS or CRS -

and the guys at the store did not know.

I am looking forward to bending them though! ;)

Also - where do 40d nails fall on the progression of bending?

And the 6" spiral nails - mine are shiny and seem coated with something - should be interesting to bend.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling questions - and if these are answered elsewhere - just direct me there.

Brett

CRS will have a smooth, oily finish (or it may rust) HRS will have what is called "mill scale" or a gray/black flaky finish. Zinc plated steel is most likely hot roll, which is softer than cold roll, due to the work hardening that cold rolled steel undergoes in its manufacture.

crs is generally harder than hrs, but there are always exceptions.

IM stuff is crs, with the possible exception of the Red, which once upon a time I heard someone refer to as a tough variety of hrs.

CRS is generally harder, but each stock is different. I've had HRS that is really close to IM's blue and CRS that is way harder. It all depends on where you buy it. Zinc coated is generally slightly weaker than uncoated stuff. The spiral 60d's are a little weaker than a 7"x 1/4" piece of HRS. I've never tried a 40d, so I can't help you there.

I have bent timber ties 7x1/4'' steel and a few 40ds. I would have to rank the 40d as the hardest. But that may because it is kinda short and hard to use sound technique with.

How long are 40d's, about 4"? That's a really short bend for anyon with average sized hands. That'll make them extra tough even if they're not that thick.

The 40ds i have are 5 inches long.I do have some 20ds that are only 4 inches though. I have yet to be able to put a signifigant kink in them due to thier shortness.

They're 5". The ones I've had are prolly roughly bluish in difficulty, although they vary. The local HH had 2 diff varieties mixed last time I was there, definitely not created equal, one kind was WAY easier.

Edited by CMunger

Thanks guys - I think the steel rods I got today are HRS - I cut a 7" piece and it was very easy - I will cut them to 5" and use them for technique

the 40d are 5" long and a good bend right now - I can do these for volume.

The spiral nails I got are galvinized! Very hard bend - I only kinked the one I tried.

these had a very high pitch when dropped on concrete.

Went through a few 40d tonight - then a soak - now to bed -

Thanks for the info.

Brett