My First Bend

Carnage

I Bent a few 6" 3/16 iron rods tonight it felt great but was acually quite easy tomorrow i'm going to go pick up an other 3/16 rod and cut it to 5" and maybe a 1/4 rod and cut it to 6". i'm not going to jump head of my self just need to find one alittle more challenging so i know that the next level up from that one will be hard, and i can start my training. :mosher

Welcome to the club!

Welcome to the Bending Club.

Good luck on the 1/4 steel.

I would try a 7 inch cut first.

Let us know how it goes.

I'm w/ Travis, try 7" or even longer 1st, I struggled going from 4.5" 3/16" steel to 8" 1/4" steel. Timber ties (spiral 60ds) at 6" and then cut down to 5" were a great bridge, even though 1/4" is still tough as hell!!

Good job and good luck, its VERY addictive. Trying to balance grippers, bending and block weights for me could be it's own sport. :)

You'll get that rush every time you bend big steel. Keep on bending! :rock

Nice one. I've recently started some bending, too. If nothing else, it impresses my 5-year-old daughter. She wants to take one of my bent nails to "show and tell".

Up to now I've only bent some standard 4" hardware nails and one drill bit. I don't think I'll make a habit of the drill bit because it cost me £3 so it's a bit expensive. The nails are cheap as chips.

I did a video of a bend today ( http://www.red-rose.com/downloads/nailbend.divx.avi 4.5Mb ) to show to some friends over the Internet. They seemed pretty impressed. I hadn't the heart to tell them that it's nothing compared to the feats that the guys around here can manage. I'd like to get the IM 'Bag of Nails' so I've something that I can compare directly against other people, 'cause these nails I have are an unknown quantity, but I reckon postage would be a bit steep to Blighty.

Anyway, keep bending. It's a great feeling to feel the bar giving way in your hands, ain't it? I reckon it could become rather addictive.

Welcome to what is becoming a very popular secret society. :blink