Last Nights Bending Binge

tmmicklabs

I know I was supposed to be resting yesterday but….I stopped by the tractor supply store last night to pick up some 5 inch carriage bolts. I took a bent one in with me and was looking around and a guy comes up and ask me if I need help finding anything. I pull a bent 5 inch carriage bolt out of my coat pocket and ask him if he has any like this one. You should have seen the look on his face. He says,

“We have carriage bolt but we don’t sell them bent” I said that that is fine and that I bend them. Now he really had a puzzled look on his face. The carriage bolts they carry are threaded all the way down though. I was like what the heck and picked up a pound of them anyway. Hard to resist at $1.99 a pound. I also picked up a 3 foot section of ¼ inch brass, a 3 foot section of ¼ inch treaded rod, and two 12 inch sections of 3/16 zinc coated square stock.

So then I get home and I am really curious about how these all thread 5 inch carriage bolts are gonna feel. I could not resist the temptation. I wrapped one up and smoked it. I would compare it to a 5.5 inch Home Depot 25cents apiece carriage bolt. Now I am feeling pretty good and am curious about the other steel I picked up. Out comes the bolt cutters and the steel starts a flyin’.

First I take the section of ¼ threaded rod and cut a 5 inch rod. I wrap it up and smoke it.

I would compare it to a 6 inch Home Depot carriage bolt.

Next up is a 7 inch cut of ¼ brass. I wrap it up and smoke it also. I would compare it to a 5 inch cut of Home Depot 3/16th Mystery Metal.

Now I am really pumped up. Then I have a go at a 7 inch cut of 3/16th zinc coated square stock.

Man this sucker is tough. The toughest thing I’ve bent so far this year. I still smoked it in under a minute though.

Now I am feeling beyond pumped. My adrenaline is off the chart and I’m seeing red. I am picturing in my mind myself destroying a 7 inch cut of ¼ HRS but I don’t have any at home cuz it’s all at work right now.

Then I realize that I have a section of ¼ inch Zinc Coated HRS in the closet. Now you know that according to Terry Duty’s chart that Zinc Coated is about 30 pounds harder than non Zinc Coated HRS.

I don’t care though. I am a man on a mission. I wrap up the 7 inch cut of ¼ inch Zinc Coated HRS and BAM!!! I feel it start to move but I am running out of gas real quick from all the previous bending that just occurred. I unwrap it and it’s bent about 20 degrees. I said to myself…This puppy is going down tonight.

I rested for 5 minutes and wrapped it back up again and and gave it all I had. It started moving again. I ran out of steam again though. I unwrapped it and it’s bent about 45 degrees now. So then I rest for another 5 minutes and wrap it back up. This sucker is going down this time. I pop on the new Cannibal Corpse cd in the computer and crank it up. I lay into the rod and I smoke it un under 30 seconds. Man…What a difference some heavy music makes. The ¼ inch HRS was my goal to accomplish by the end of March and I pulled in off six weeks early.

Here is a pick of my bending binge from last night.

Bending Binge

awsome! :rock you are a glutton for bent steal. Sounds like you were really pumped.

Great job dude! The jump from the carriage bolts to the 1/4 inch mystery metal was a big one for me. Great job!. You will be suprised how fast you can progress if you really push yourself. Keep up the good work!

It is a serious addiction isn't it?

Weldon

Great work, Tmmicklabs! Keep it up! :rock

I like reading these kind of workout reports - makes me want to go mangle something with my hands!

Nice bendathon there tmmicklabs ! I would like to see what you do on the days you dont rest. :D Death metal gets me pumped up too :mosher Have you checked out the latest Vital Remains cd with Glen Benton of Deicide singing. Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.in brutal shit. New Deicide comes out on the 24th. You can check out the new song on www.earache.com.

Thanks for the motivational report Travis! And congrats on your new HRS PR (how's that for some abbreviating)!

Those bends that stump you a couple of times in one day, only to be shown who's really boss by day's end are precious moments. They should make a Hallmark card commemorating such events!

Great stuff!!