Clubbells/kettlebells

anson

just wondering how many of you use CBs and or KBs to help improve grip strength. i recently made a pipe KB and a CB out of a sand filled fat plastic bat. i really like these exercises.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anson

• apdwler

• Sybersnott

• GordonV

a CB out of a sand filled fat plastic bat.

What a great idea! Please keep us posted how it works out for you.

I just purchased a pair of 32kg kettlebells. I didn't buy them to specifically improve my grip strength but they no doubt will. That wiffle ball bat idea is great! I may have to try that.

BC.

I'm planning to buy a set of kettlebells as soon as I can afford it. GILL sports (Track & field equipment suppliers) are based in Champaign. I can get a set of 3 16kg, 24kg, 32kg for about $330.

Kettlebells and clubbells are outstanding for developing grip and wrist strength.

Snatches, swings and bottom up presses are some of the best exercises I've found.

BTW The kettlebells listed on Gill Sports are just Dragondoor KBs. You can actually get that same set cheaper from dragondoor. com.

I've played around doing clubbell exercises with my sledges. Very rough on the grip....and the ego. I plan on incorporating more CB type work in my schedule. anyone have a good cheap supplier for these things? I'd love to get some from Coach Sonnon, but the wallet just can't handle that kind of load.

Thanks for the sites - I'll check them out. The only difference for me is no shipping if I get them here, so I have to look at the overall price.

those Detroit KB sure are cheeper than all the others i've seen, but what do you load it with? also the handle looks to be kinda skinny, i like the thinker handles.

those Detroit KB sure are cheeper than all the others i've seen, but what do you load it with? also the handle looks to be kinda skinny, i like the thinker handles.

Detroit can customize their KBs with thicker handles if you want.

The most common size handles for KBs is 1.5 inches. They will make

handles thicker if you want

I really want to know why most KBs are in the neighborhood of $2 /lb.

I don't intend to suggest that the marketers should not get a fair price for their products. Cast weights go for .35-.50 /lb for no frills painted. KBs are 2 to 6 times that much! I understand that from an economy of scale perspective there is a difference in production costs (amortizing the molds etc.) but still.

Is there anyone out there making more affordable KBs?

O.K. . . . I admit it . . . I am a cheapskate. . . I blame my mother.

AP Posted on Feb 19 2004, 03:43 PM

you think thats bad, have you looked at the prices for clubbells? They make kettlebells seem downright affordable! 

I started looking at CBs once . . . but I began experiencing a tightening in the chest and I had to close the browser window. How they can ask that much for a metal baseball bat, I will never understand.

PDA makes plate loadable versions of both the Kettlebell and the Indian Club. Esentially you would only need a pair of each as I am sure you already have or have access to bumper plates.

Kettlebells are an excellent grip and conditioning tool. Swings, snatches and bottoms-up cleans are brutal developers of the grip.

Also the Juggling as done by Jeff Martone and John Brookfield is awesome!

Loads of fun!

Brett

clubbells are very different from a sledgehammer, i've done a lot of sledge work, no compairson here. just go to wal-mart and get the Husky Hitter( fat orange kid's plastic bat) for $2, drill or cut a 1/2" hole in the base of handle and fill with sand, then seal with tape. use a racket grip type tape or atheletic tape for a better grip. now you have a $110 20 CB for $4! at first i tried the alum. bat filled with lead shot, but the bat was too long and would drag the floor. i tell you, swinging this thing fries the grip like nothing else! i would be afraid to use a loadable version of the CB, what if a plate came loose??!!??!

Good idea, anson. The best part about this is that I can make a lot of plastic clubbells for the cost of one from you-know-who...so,even if they break what do I loose an hour to make them and $3?

check out WWW.bodybuilding.com

put clubbells in the search, they have two articles that have free videos of the swings, good stuff! i think the author's name is john myres........

my favorite swing is the windmill, this really works the grip/wrist and all your muscles from the waist up!

I have a pair of 24kg kettle bells and they are a great workout

in themselves.

They are kinda light but still a good purchase

M2

i've been doing high rep snatches with my homemade 42lb KB, this is a great total body workout. this really teaches you how to explode up into the movement, gets your heart rate up very well.