What Size Nails Should I Start With?

Carnage

I would like to start bending and i'm a little tight on cash to buy the Bag of Nails.

I can close the #1 gripper 10 times now with my right about 5-6 with my left my #2 should be on the truck(ups) tomorrow. i have no idea about nail sizes and lenghts and i would just like to know 2 different sizes that i can start bending so i know what i should i exactly ask for when i go into the hardware store.

thank in advance.

Go to Home Depot and buy the 30 pound bucket of timber ties. It is an easy 60d nail and great for learning form. It is cheaper than the Ironmind Bag of Nails, plus, you get a whole lot more nails with which to practice. The cost is around $32.00. Watch David Horne's video in the movie gallery of this board on How to Bend Challenge Bars. Also, watch videos of Terminator to learn solid technique.

As mentioned above everyone who is serious about bending recomends the TT's.

Have you ever bent anything before? If not, the timber ties may be too difficult. I have only been bending for a little over one month, but I still cannot bend the timber tie. :whistel

If you can bend these, then that is cool, and go for it. If not, go to Bender's page mentioned in the post above. He has an excellent plan for progressing through varying degrees of steel so that anyone can begin bending.

Congrats on starting this journey. You will find it very rewarding!

Also be sure to check out Terry Duty's bending page.

Bending Page

I would go to home depot and pick up a 5 pound box on 40d polebarn nails for around 5 bucks. Also make sure you have a shop rag to wrap the nail up in.

Go to home depot and get:

Some 48" lengths of 3/16" steel ~ $1.50 a bar

Some 48" lengths of 1/4" steel ~ $2 a bar

A 24" bolt cutter ~ $20

A box of 12 shop rags ~ $4

Start with a 7" length of the 3/16" steel and work your way down to 5". Once you can bend that, start over with 1/4" steel.

To add to Scott's advice,

I'd recommend working on 3/16" square stock before you try and tackle the 1/4"

Tight on cash + new to bending = 40 or 60 D polebarn nails, they are cheap and easy to bend. You can get started for less than 5 bucks. Use a wash rag or dish towel for a bending rag....A must read is benders sight, I still refer to it after almost 3 months of bending.....Brett

thanks for all the info so fast you guys are great, i'll be heading over to home depot today i'll keep you all updated on my progress. oh yea and thanks for Benders site its got loads of great stuff.

They are with the rest of the nails. My 40D polebarn nails came in a box with a green label (as opposed to the nails with the yellow or blue labels). I had to buy my 60D polebarn nails out of a bin, and I think I had to go to Lowes to get those. Also, if you have a farm & home store (Orscheln, Tractor Supply, etc.), these are a great source for various nails. That is the only place I have been able to find 50D common nails.

Keep grippin!

Becareful not to start too hard and fast. 4 of the 5 people that I know that are into bending have gotten injured. They have taken the fast and furious approach where they bend one nail and go to the next level nail without ever bending the same level nail again. This has resulted in them working on 60D nails with only having bent a dozen or so nails in thier bending carrier. The result has been slow to average progress, poor/incosistant technique and injury.

I recommend starting out with high volume and medium to light intensty using two or three different techniques every session. This will give you a good feel for what technique you like best and you will still get strong fast. I say start on something that you can bend more than 10 of in a single session. Then over several weeks progress to a schedule of 2 bending session per week with 1 high volume, lower intensity and 1 high intestiy, lower volume.

This approach is similar to what I did and I have progressed faster, stayed injury free and I am much more consistent with my bending than my friends.

Also, use this website a lot, the information and support has helped me tons.

Have fun!

Becareful not to start too hard and fast. 4 of the 5 people that I know that are into bending have gotten injured. They have taken the fast and furious approach where they bend one nail and go to the next level nail without ever bending the same level nail again. This has resulted in them working on 60D nails with only having bent a dozen or so nails in thier bending carrier. The result has been slow to average progress, poor/incosistant technique and injury.

I wish more people would understand this, especially the experienced benders on this board who encourage new benders to start bending too fast.

Take your time and slowly work your way through the different steels, and you'll NEVER regret it. Never.

Well i went to home depot picked up some 3/16th 48" round bar 2 of them just to start slow and get a fell for it thought i had a bolt cutter home but it truns out i didn't :( so i guess i have to try my first bend tomorrow. also i couldn't find any nails over 20d at home depot :unsure

denver thanks for the advice i'm thinking high volume, lower intensity on Tuesday, and high intesity, lower volume on Thursday.

high volume day how many easier bends 5,6,?

high intesity day how many harder bends 1,2,?

Carnage,

That schedule could work really well. The main concept to keep in mind is that you must be very fresh for the high intensity days. Full rest is not quite as important for the higher volume days. So, if you feel you need more rest with the schedule you start with then adjust accordingly. I never bend if I don't feel 100%. I have to break my schdule fairly often to get enough rest.

High intensity day:

1 warm-up bend

max-level bends attempted or repeated till failure.

1-2 easier bends for technique.

Low intensity day:

10-20 bends using different techniques with nothing going to failure.

Keep in mind this is my approach, search this site and you'll find different ideas to figure out what you like best.

Happy bending!

I went to a Home Depot on the north side of Chicago and they had like a dozen 30lb buckets of timber ties, priced around $35. They also sold the nails seperately for 12 cents a piece. I picked up 20 since they seem to be a bit harder then the level I'm at right now. The nails are dirty, coated in some sort of powder.