Terminator Bending Teqhinque Advice

Anuwbius

Hey, ok heres the deal. Pats style of getting the initial bend in the nail (or the how to bend a challenge bar style) has allowed me to detroy previously impossible bends. But lately I have run into a problem, and I cant say whether its from my bad technique, or a common problem with an obvious fix or what. When I go to start the bend, lets say a 60D, I find that after I start bending my second knuckle down from the tip of my finger begins to dig into my thumb right about the joint closest to the wrist. Or that is, the knuckle/joint labeled #6 on this here x-ray of the hand.

Hand X-ray

What happens in (in terms of the x-ray) is that my #6 on the upper hand digs into my lower hand right above my #2 (hope that makes sense). This happens to the point of brusing on my harder bends. While its not crippling, I dont like it. I have tried turning my wrist in varios degrees, but the position that feels the most comfortble and gives me the most leverage is one that makes this happen. I have also tried squeezing harder on the nail with my upper hand to that I get as much leverage as possible with as little movement as possible. I can finish the bend, but it still somethign I want to get rid of. Phew...

Anyway, anyone else have this problem and if so what did you do? Is there something I am doing "wrong" or am I going to have to just beat up those soft tissues till it isnt a problem anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:blush

Any bruising I get is from the pressure of the nail, any contact between my knuckle and the hand is part of the movement. My initial tendency is to say that you just need to toughen up the soft tissue, but there may be a subtle technique flaw. When I bend, my finger (5-6) is flat against my other hand's 5-3, so there aren't any real focus points along there. Try to make sure you are pulling more evenly to spread the pressure out, and possibly rotate your pulling hand ever so slightly as well.

Edited by CMunger

I had this same problem. I discovered I was doing two things wrong:

1)Like CMunger said, if you're bending the nail too close along a line parallel to your bracing arm the nail will give too much as it sinks into the meaty part of your thumb webbing. So yes, rotate your bending arm slightly away from this alignment, to the position where the nail contacts the first thumb joint.

2)Like you, I wrongly assumed I had the best leverage with my hands held tightly together. But as I moved them out a bit I discoverd not only increased leverage, but a greater range of motion, which meant my hands didn't get in the way of eachother.

Edited by EricMilfeld

I have been using your stannard washcloth, and only today did I try using one washcloth for each end of the nail. While much more of a pain to roll up, much better for bending.

I got some more metal today, and put your guys advice to work, and it definitly helped. I found myself slipping back into the old form, and while the new (although very slight) form is somewhat akwerd due to its newness, I feel that its the way to go. Thanks guys, your the best! :D

legal bending...

in the x-ray... is it legit to bend having both right hand 2 and left had 2 touch in a shape of a x