Bending Rocks!

nagual

Hey!

New to the board and new to bending and gripping in general.

Ordered a couple of RB:s, and while waiting I thought I'd try out this bending thing.

Best workout I've ever had! :mosher:bow

Got some nails from a store and bent them easily, although they are probably childs play for you guys. :blush

(I'm from sweden so I don't know what the corresponding nails would be, but they were about 3.9x0.14'' and 4.9x0.16'', and the metal was kinda soft I think.)

Then I tried a long steel 8mm rod. Couldn't even kink it, without bracing. But I was fired up already so I decided to bend it anyhow, in whatever way that I could. The metal was real springy, and I got an intense whole body workout!!!

I'm all jazzed now! :yikes

Have to find a proper hardware store and get me some decent nails... because I'm totally hooked.....

Welcome to the fold. Now that you are hooked, you will never look back!

Keep grippin!

It seems you're already strong Nagual!

Can you find something comparable to a 60 Penny nail? They're roughly .25 X 6 inches.

We're glad to have you join us!

but doesn't the toughness of the nail also depend on what kind of steel it is?

Absolutely. And the same brand of steel can vary in strength from batch to batch.

So I guess you would have to test each batch on a case per case basis... I saw a good article on testing nail poundages (probably found it on this board, I forget ) http://bigsteel.iwarp.com/Articles2/BendingPounds.html

but I would then need a loading pin a lots of weights...

Oh.. and also the ability to deadlift all that weight ;)

Is there an easier, even if less accurate, way of determining nail toughness ?

Bend it. If it feels harder than the other one, it probably is. :tongue I'm leaving the calibration stuff to other people for now. Graded bolts seem to be more consistent in strength. Another option is a guy can order an assortment of pre-calibrated bars from David Horne periodically to measure your progress numerically.

Thx for the welcome guys!

Well... day 2 of bending:

Didn't get very sore since yesterday, my hands just feel tired, and have some wierd pains allover... I guess those are tendon aches, since it feels similar to having the flu (but not nearly as unpleasant). Had similar pains, but much MUCH worse, when I used to practise capoeira...

Anyway, got an assortment of nails from a hardware store.

Bent a 5.9 x 1/5''. (Don't know what steel it was, but I believe it was a "softer" kind.)

Dam that sucker was tough! Was a good match, but I won ;)

Kinda interesting that you quickly find out where you are the strongest if you get a "just tough enough" nail...

My wrist are complaining quite a bit now, and they are totally spent, so I'll probably back of for 1 or 2 days and hit the weights instead...

I have seen the steel, and it is good...