New Initial Style

Z-man

Guys, Today I Finally bent 1/4" steel, 7" long!! BUT, I was getting frustrated w/ the initial bend and ended up starting it in a "crossed double spike style?". Here's how: Grab a nail double overhand, and twist your right hand like your revving a motorcycle and allow it to cross under the nail and over your left forearm. You should now be looking at both forearms which are in the shape of an 'X'.

No I just pulled my wrists down like I was driving w/ a hammer, and the steel gave way pretty easy, to about 30 degrees, Then I was able to double overhand and crush it :rock

Is this legal?, I went through the bending rules and don't see why not, but my 2 wrists were touching each other. This is where its grey for me. I'm able to use Pat's style to destroy timber ties now, but couldn't budge 1/4" still with it, the twist was basically an accident as I was fighting it. Not sure if this is healthy or ergonomic either. As usual, advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Huh, neat, never heard of this style before. It seems like the nail would want to slip out of your hands. It would work your wrist differently than any other style of bending - you are rotating your hands inward (well they would be inward if they weren't crossed) that is the right hand works counterclockwise and the left clockwise. All other styles that I'm aware of are the reverse. Maybe a good way to balence bending strength? Kinda like extensor work for crushing?

I've stumbled across that form too, but had zero leverage from that position. Also, when I let other people bend Timber Ties, they end up trying that one out of frusteration.

Then again, I have no leverage with the double-under-hand grip either, but some dudes are bending RED's left and right with that form. If your new cross-over style works for you and gives you that edge, stick with it, refine it, and make it yours.

i just got into bending a month ago got down to a 7 1/2 was pretty excitted so i wanted my bro to give it a try... he was bending one after another then i gave him a 6 1/2 and he got that one too.. he is not a big guy either. he uses that same technique i will try this when i do bending again. 1/4 crs we used