Gripboard Grip Bash Iv: Official Rules

EricMilfeld

TIME: ooo1 Mon., Feb. 23rd through 2359 Sun., Feb. 29th., Central Standard Time.

EVENTS

One Hand Deadlift: Straddle a standard olympic bar (rotating sleeves), and partially deadlift to the point where the center, middle of the bar attains a height of atleast mid knee cap level, and hold in the finished position for atleast 2 seconds. Knurling is acceptable in the middle of the bar. Do not use a hook grip. The thumb may cover a finger, but must not itself be covered by a finger. Perform with both the right and left hand, scoring each individually.

Plate Pinch: Using both hands, pinch grip two metallic plates, with the smooth sides facing outwards, clearing the ground by atleast 3 inches and holding for atleast 2 seconds in the completed position. Additional weight may be added by a means of your choice, provided that the additional weight is balanced between the front and the back of the two plates.

Bending: Using the stock provided by Jedd Johnson, bend in 1/4" increments. Measure your bar by standing it upright on a flat surface, recording the distance to the highest vertical point of the bar. Round up all measurements to the nearest 1/4". Follow all of the bending rules pinned in the Bending section of the Gripboard.

SCORING: We will use the same scoring system used in the past two contests. The winner of each event will be awarded 10 points, with all other contestants receiving a score obtained by dividing their poundage by the winning poundage, and multiplying by 10. The bending bars will be assigned the following pound ratings: 8"-100lbs., 7 3/4"-120lbs., 7 1/2"-140lbs., and so on.

E-mailing Results by Example:

Eric Milfeld (Gripboard nickname here if applicable)

pinch 150

deadlift right 200 PR

deadlift left 190

bend 6 1/4" PR

Additional Notes:

All lifts must be started and finished within the time frame mentioned above. All results must be e-mailed to me by 2359 CST on Feb. 29th. Use only regular gym chalk as a grip aid. Note personal records in your e-mails with the letters "PR". Please don't forget to reimburse Jedd for his bending bars. And as always, have fun and give it your best effort with a spirit of sportsmanship and camaraderie!

This is gonna be great!

All of the spikes are now sent out officially. Please, no more requests, as the dates for the contest have now been set. Sorry for taking so long with them. I really got focused on the Strong-arm Tactics Contests, and pretty much phased everything else out.

Some of you will notice that the spikes have red, white, and blue tape on them. please take this off and remove the residue. Being a moron, I put the tape on randomly, and I believe this could really have an effect on how well one is able to bend a nail. I wanted to pull a page out of the Rick Walker handbook and make things look patriotic, but failed to make them identical, and in fact, compromised the equality and balance of the bending rratings of the nails. In the future, this random taping will not be done.

The spikes will be 25 cents a piece. I will send every participant a PM with the total cost of postage and packaging. I did my best to round them all off. Please be careful when you cut them as this could re-create burrs that could prove very damaging to the hands. I narrowly escaped injury in the Minnesota contest, even with a good wrap and athletic tape 'round the edges.

Please PM me to let me know you got your spikes.

-Jedd-

what about the coin pinch?

I experimented with this lift and discovered a few problems. Most obvious of which is that with any degree of tilt with the coin a marked increase in leverage is obtained. I considered requiring a strictly vertical lift of the coin, but how do you judge this? And when the slightest degree of tilt can mean a gain of a few pounds, for a lift that will be performed with less than fifty total pounds, a huge percentage in unfair advantage can be obtained incidentally.

I can't edit the Official Rules, so here's a few additional notes:

1)Provide results in pounds.

2)Include the weight of the device used to attach additional weight to the pinch plates in your results.

3)Insure that finger tips don't touch the additional weights or loading device while performing the plate pinch. Touch only the two plates themselves.

4)The distance between the inside of your heels must not exceed 24 inches while deadlifting.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Guys,

Please PM me when you receive your spikes.

-Jedd-

Just a reminder that the fun starts tomorrow! I can't wait to try out the Jedd Johnson bars!

Good luck to all those competing! Hope everyone gets some PR's.

Don't forget to feel free to take the tape off guys.

-Jedd-

I performed the bending portion of the contest last night. That's some nice, tough 1/4" stock. I had a little trouble with the short piece of steel tearing through the wash cloth, so I decided to try wrapping it first with an Iron Mind cloth, and then covering it with my wash cloth for padding. It worked great.

For aesthetic value, I crushed it down to an inch and a half, as it just didn't look complete at two inches, being such a short piece.

Today: the one hand deads and plate pinching!

For aesthetic value, I crushed it down to an inch and a half, as it just didn't look complete at two inches, being such a short piece.

Wow. Must've been pretty freakin' short.

-Jedd-

Wow. Must've been pretty freakin' short.

-Jedd-

Nothing like Rob Vigeant, but short for me. ;) I really don't train below 5 1/2", but this was my shortest bend of my short career.

I didn't participate because my training right now is focused on the #3.

Wise decision. ;)

Guys,

Don't forget to send in your results to Eric via PM. The deadline is 1159 tonight.

-Jedd-