Bent My First Something Last Night

rbrown

I decided I wanted to see what the bending craze was all about so last night I pulled out a 4 inch machine bolt with fine threads on it and a common screwdriver head. I'd guess it was a little over 1/8" thick, but didn't measure it. I rolled it up in the towell and bent it like David Horne showed in his video. I can see how people get into this.

Any idea how hard the screw might be? I guess there is no telling without exact knowledge of what it was.

How do I know what to go buy if I want to just get some stuff from the hardware store to play with?

Edited by rbrown

git nails, there cheaper, lowes/home depot, 40 and 60 pennys.several types to choose from, spirlal, galvanized, brite. realyjust have to grab a few of each and see where your at.60's are in the area of 6" long. bolts are graded 2,5,8. no lines on head is a g-2, three lines g-5, 6 lines g-8. standard lenght used is 6". most g-5'sand 8's have the last inch threaded, if its threaded all the way, its usually a grade 2.

Thanks Dave. Sounds like maybe this was a grade 2. It was threaded all the way. These are some really old bolts that came out of a baby crib I fixed up a while back...lol

What is a blue nail? Is it a 60d?

Nevermind; found some old posts that give me an idea. Ryan

Edited by rbrown

Ryan,

Go to Home Depot and pick up a box of 40d polebarn nails for around 5 bucks.

These are a little harder than the Ironmind Green nail and probally a good place to start.

After these the some Grade 2 carriage bolts.

Get the 6 inch ones to start with and then the 5.5 and then finally the 5 inch ones.

After you can bend ten 5 inch grade 2 bolts back to back then it's time to move on to 60d polebarn nails. After you can do these like butter then you should be able to put a good dent in a seven inch cut of 1/4 HRS. After the 7 inch cut is cake move down to 6 3/4..then 6 1/2 and so forth until you get to being able to bend a 5 inch cut of 1/4 HRS. Then it will be time to try some 1/4 CRS...Start with 7 inch cuts and work your way down to 5 inches again. Never try to bend anything over 8 inch or under 5 inches.

Here is the detail for the Poor Man's Bag of Nails.

White Nail = 6 by 3/16 CRS = 120 lbs to bend

Green Nail = 5 by 3/16 CRS = 160 lbs to bend

Yellow Nail = 7 by 1/4 CRS = 210 lbs to bend

Blue Nail = 6 by 1/4 CRS = 260 lbs to bend

Red Nail = 7 by 5/16 CRS = 383 lbs to bend

Hope this helps.

Get to the 60d common bright as soon as you can because they're cheap @ about 5 cents a bend. I hate polebarn nails because they snap about halfway through the bendand give everything a jolt. The twsted galvanized 60d timber ties are good mediocre practice. A 60d common bright nail is about like a 5" blue, IMO.

You competed @ Boston, right? My guess is once you have the technique down you'll go like a raped ape, so set the 60d bright as your short term goal.

Edited by CMunger

Thanks guys; this info will be helpful. I went to Lowes last night and looked all over for 60ds. I saw 6ds, 12ds, and others up to 20ds. I didn't see anything with a bigger number. I asked the guy there about 60ds and he looked at me like I was from Mars. He said I must mean 6ds. I told him I was certain it was 60ds. He told me that if something like that existed, he didn't know about it and that Lowes didn't carry it. I left without buying anything. There were so many different bolts that I really had no idea which ones to buy. I guess I'll give Ace or Home Depot a shot tonight.

Ryan,

WRT 60d, you will need to go to a smaller local hardware store. None of the big chains carry these nails. But they do carry timber ties. Timber ties are a galvanized, twisted 60d nail. You should be able to pick up a 35# pail for $20-30. These are not very difficult nails but will help you with your technique and allow you to experiment and reduce the risk of injury while you learn.

Be prepared for getting the "third eye" look at some of the smaller hardware stores. I was in one yesterday and asked the old guy working there about 60d nails. He said they didn't carry them. Then he asked the question that I was waiting for "...ain't no one asks for them nails, wha'cha gonna do wit em." When I told him they were for bending he looked at me funny and took a step back. I had all I could do to keep from laughing.

CRS and HRS is sold at Home Depot and Lowes in 3 or 6 foot lengths. You need to cut it to the desired size with a bolt cutter $20, or a hacksaw.

The other guys are right, if all else fails just go in and buy whatever you can lay your hands on, and experiment. 3/16 and 1/4 dia. are a good place to start.

Happy Bending!

Got to Ace Hardware. Cold rolled is jsut round steel rods, probably in 3 foot lengths or so. Home Depot has hot rolled which jsut has a bit of a different feel to it. Again, Ace will likely have crs. The smaller stores seem to be the best bet for nails for some reason.

Be prepared for getting the "third eye" look at some of the smaller hardware stores.  I was in one yesterday and asked the old guy working there about 60d nails.  He said they didn't carry them.  Then he asked the question that I was waiting for "...ain't no one asks for them nails, wha'cha gonna do wit em."  When I told him they were for bending he looked at me funny and took a step back.  I had all I could do to keep from laughing.

I avoided the third eye look when I bought some Grade 5's and 8's at the local HH. The lady was asking me if Grade 2's would work, and I said no, I just needed some 5's and 8's because they were stronger steel. She then asked what I needed them for and I just replied "You wouldn't believe me if I told you," and smiled.

Someday when (if) I can whack the 8 in 20 secs or less, I want to go into a store and play dumb, tell the guy I need a really strong 1/4" x 6" bolt, then after I pay for it, bend it at the register and attempt to return it as defective. :laugh

"This one's broken. Look, it bends."

The sad part is, that's about the most useful thing I can think of to do with my bending ability. :blink:D

PS: Gordon, I've never seen crs @ Home Depot. Which ones have you seen it at?

Edited by CMunger

ok. Thanks guys. I think I did see the spiral spikes and wondered if they would be good, but wasn't sure so didn't buy them.

Out of curiousity, what is the intended use for the CRS and HRS rods (besides bending)?

Chris,

I made a mis-statement. I have seen CRS at some of the local hardware stores but it is hit or miss. I didn't buy any b/c I have been on the hunt for 60d. I have only seen HRS at HD. On a related note, I was buying HRS from HD in 3' lengths but then a couple months ago I noticed that Menards had it in 6' lengths for a lower per foot price. Menard's may have had CRS too, but I was so excited that they had 6' HRS that my powers of observation were rendered useless.

I have been meaning to get to Discount Steel (just off 94, north of downtown) becuase they have a really big selection and their prices are great, their hours just don't work for me. If you can find what you want in their cut-off pile, they charge you the scrap price. I don't know how large their steel cutoff selection is but their AL selection is huge.

-----

Ryan. You can use CRS and HRS for anything...axle for a toy car, shear/alignment/retaining pin for a motor or other project, or whatever else the mad scientist/engineer can dream up.

can you tell by looking at it whether it is CRS or HRS? or is there usually a sign there that says it is CRS or HRS. If neither, then how do you know what it is?

There is sure to be a sign, CRS is usually more expensive than HRS.

The one problem in relying on the sign is that it is only as good as the 16yo. who happened to be unpacking the shipment.

CRS is supposed to sound different (more of a ring than a clang) and have more of a relative shine when compared to HRS.

Maybe someone else has a sure-fire identification hint.