Frustrating Experience

EricMilfeld

I attempted to certify with a 260 Challenge Bar tonight, and in fact did fully bend it after literally going full bore for five minutes. But upon reviewing the tape when I got home, I discovered that in the crushdown phase, with the nail held against my chest, I leaned so far forward that the bar actually dipped below my waist level. The thing is, when your straining your guts out you have a tendency not to realise you are doing these sorts of things. I also accidentally brushed my hip with my right elbow during the crush down.

So atleast now I know to really tighten my belt in training with regards to consciously monitoring all of my body movements. If anyone else is training to certify, and trains alone without the aid of video review, you may want to consider these little technicalities that could sneak up and bight you. ;)

Oh well, lesson learned, and maybe when I do officially certify I can do it under five minutes. :laugh

Edited by EricMilfeld

I use the exact opposite style for the crush. I lean backwards instead. The crush however is easy for me. The difficulty is to get the initial bend.

I use the exact opposite style for the crush. I lean backwards instead. The crush however is easy for me. The difficulty is to get the initial bend.

I've always considered my crush to be my strong suit as well, but there's a point with these 5 3/4" 260 bars that gives me heck. Somewhere around the 70 to 90 degree range I find that the bar is bent too far to allow me to continue with the double overhand crushdown, and yet the bar isn't quite bent far enough for me to easily take it between my palms with my fingers interlocked.

I guess all the various lengths of bars pose their own unique difficulties.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Another problem I am trying to correct is the off centre bends I get using the Terminator style. The shorter end on the 240k bar is about 8-9 mm shorter than the longer end. If I start the bend double overhand (considerably weaker starting the bend with this style) style then this does not seem to happen (i.e, the u-shaped nail is symmetrical). Anyone else having the same problem?

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Another problem I am trying to correct is the off centre bends I get using the Terminator style. The shorter end on the 240k bar is about 8-9 mm shorter than the longer end. If I start the bend double overhand (considerably weaker starting the bend with this style) style then this does not seem to happen (i.e, the u-shaped nail is symmetrical). Anyone else having the same problem?

I've been plagued by this problem as well with anything over 6 inches in length. It seems to be the one problem I experience using Terminator's style. And I too am considerably weaker starting off with the double overhand, though I'm requiring less and less of an initial bend before I can switch over to double overhand. The best I can figure with myself, atleast, is that the longer bars tend to bend at the point immediately past my right forefinger. So if there's much of a gap between my hands on the initial bend, the bar inevitably comes out asymmetrical. To compensate I could choke up on the bar a bit with my right hand, but then I lose valuable leverage. I guess you gotta just find that happy medium.

I get stuck sometimes same place your speaking Eric!!

I just need a little more to be able to interlock fingers and finish

the bend off and sometimes I just can't get it.

All true points guys. It's definitely a learning process, and boy am I still learning.

I have kinked/bent everything I've tried in my hands (Pat style), but have a problem on some to finish, even at a 90 degrees bend!!

Anyway, I seem to be rectifying this problem somewhat by doing some bars from straight in front of my chest, with no pre-bend.

David

I also shoot backwards when I crush. It enables you to take advantage of the back muscles better.

I am constantly changing my technique to gain an advantage when i notice it. Thankfully, I have my camera to help myself study my form.

-Jedd-

I have kinked/bent everything I've tried in my hands (Pat style), but have a problem on some to finish, even at a 90 degrees bend!!

I'm opposite. I can finish the RED if bent a little more than 45 degrees

but i can't get it there :angry:

I'm by far strongest when it comes to fininshing bends. I haven't done a whole lot of it but when I get it up to my chest after the first kink it is no problem.

Dang Eric, nice bending! I wouldn't be too pissed about bending a 260k bar!

Mikael, I used to have the exact same problem when bending like Terminator. To be honest I'm not sure why, but the problem has gone away. I think it's from leaving a bit more space between my hands, but i'm not sure.