Looking For An Inbetween Gripper

opnsysme

I received my Grand Master today thinking it would be a little less then my number #3. Well by eyeballing it , its identical to my #3. It still is a great griper though, finish is nice and the guys at WW were nice. Anyway for you newbies out there going from the #2 to the #3 stick with something other than a GM or below. My $.02 worth.

Well I haven't closed the #3 yet but I would say about the same, though ,aybe a little easier in the sweep. But then again I am doing KTA and that might have an effect on it. I also am not sure I totally believe in "sweep " versus "close" in regards to the way a muscle works.

I agree with Chris, his numbers for the SM and GM are the same as mine. Do you guys think the Tetting grippers feel smoother in the sweep than the IM grippers? They both feel different to me, remember though the #3 and the GM have .281 wire sizes, so they should be very close. Mike

I have a few Tettings. The GM is a hard 3, the SM is a very very good inbetween 2 and 3, probably 2.7 or so. The tettings I have are very smooth on the sweep, but the way he buries them up the last 3/16" and in is a nightmare. They are almost deceiving to give a test squeeze on to feel the sweep. The grippers I have of his are top notch and excellent training tools though.

Manufacturing errors can be off +- 10% -> 15% in "force to close".

At +-10% the #3 (and probably the GM too) can vary from 252LBs to 308Lbs, conservatively.

These errors accumulate from manufacturing errors in wire size (about +-.002"), sweep angle ( about +-2 degrees), coil diam (about +-5%), handle depth (~ +-1/16"). These geometric tolerances are relative to dimensions the manufacturer targets. It is important to know these targets AND the tolerances for each manufacturer IF you want a reasonable heads-up re gripper strength before purchase. See some of my previous posts for more details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks 3djim, it does, and thanks Heath. After I finish my KTA cycle and am fresh I can squeze both and compare. I will also see if I can find a calibar to measure the thickness of my two and compare. I did put the two together and for eyeballing it they both were set the same , same distance apart (handles) and coil look to be positioned and the thickness to be the same. But I'm still happy to have it, though I"m thinking of a SM if I fail at KTA and the #3. But I don't plan on it

"the SM is a very very good inbetween 2 and 3"

Absolutely ! I bought two SM and both were almost identical and were in between my #2 and my #3s. Closer to a #3 than a #2. But they are narrower than the COCs.

I've also got a SM and think it's a great tweener for the #3!

Heath is right on about the close on the Tetting grippers, very decieving! But I think they are geat training tools. The IM grippers are great too, just a different feel, which can only help in training. Mike