Anybody Ever Use Dit Ja Jow & Iron Palm Liniments?

Rekx

Hey there fellow gripomaniacs,

In my current obsession of hand strength and in particular hand toughening, I came across these products. Looks like people who are into Kung Fu use them to accomplish some sort of Iron Palm feat.

I have to say, the description of "a secret formula, it is the original recipe of Ku Yu Cheong, Sifu Lam’s Shaolin and Tai Chi Grandmaster, who was a renowned healer and foremost exponent of Iron Palm" sounds very very intriguing.

The Iron Palm stuff looks like what I'm looking for too; something to toughen the hand and help develope callouses.

I havn't found any discussion of this stuff on the board. Anyone use this stuff?

Here's a couple of links I found...oh, and be sure to check out the ninja secret formula recipe, especially stage 2...what's up with that?

Nija immortal hand liniment

Wong Fei-Hung dit da jow

Homebrew dit da jow

More dit da jow and some Iron Fist

Jow is used mainly to heal slight bruses and damage caused by cumulative impact, ie punching a hard (or dense) object. Working with a jong (wooden dummy), wall bag, or partner can cause short term brusing but the idea is to toughen the limbs and hands slowely over time. I am not sure if it applies to grip training per se. The effectiveness of Jow is debatable, some people claim great success from using it, others get little or nothing out of it. Some things are sure though: 1) traditional jow smells bad, it may repel friends, family and potential dates. This is a problem since jow is supposed to be left on the skin or on a wrapping on the skin for a period of time after training. 2) traditional jow contains some form of alchohol , which can cause skin dryness/cracking and can be painful in cold weather climates. 3) It should not be used on open sores/cuts so if your hands/caluses have a tendancy to open up, you might not be able to use it on a regular basis.

Their are lots of homemade recepies availible on the web also (if you are old enough to purchase liquer) that would be much cheaper, but of course not as convinient. You mught give it a try but personally I find that there is not a lot of 'magic' in kung fu training, grip training or traditional chinese medicine. Just a lot of practice time and small progressive gains.

I suggest you avoid scams and such.

I'm not saying that the substance doesn't work, it does. Being of chinese descendance, I have used some of those herbal concoctions, although not for training or grip, but for rehab.

The two times I've injured my ankles, I've used some of these. I not sure if it is exactly the one you talk about, since I have no idea of how it's called.

However, what AP says is correct, it smells weird (a bit weirder than tigger balm) and it contains alcohol.

I hope it helps

I agree with Henry, the efficacy of jow is debatable, in part because anytime

your dealing with herbs, there are so many variables in the strength of the active

ingredients, like how it was harvested, processed, length of aging, ad nauseum.

I did iron palm training for about a year and worked my way up to 5 boards,

but after seeing an interview with a contestant in a power breaking contest, he

showed his knuckles, had said the after years of training you build up calcium

deposits( which means to me you are greatly increasing your chances of getting

arthritis later on in life, so that's when I decided to stop iron palm training.

What I did instead of using jow, was to soak my hands in hot water(as hot as I could stand for 5-10 mins, several times a day. Btw, this also good for grip training.

In either case, it is to speed up the recovery from these types of training.

If you want to know more about iron palm training and my experiences, you

can email me @ bond_license_to_ill@yahoo.com

MM

I just want to know what that secret Nija recipe was about :)

oh! in that case, don't use it for more than 90 days or you will die... It disrupts your chi so powerfully that you die from explosive diarrhea - its the same stuff they use to make the ninja smoke bombs...