New Coc Grippers

jad

Thought some of you might find this interesting. I recently got my neighbor into the grippers and he can close my FILED single stamp #2 but can't close his new #2 with the engraving on it. I must have one easy #2 and that's probably why the jump to the #3 felt so huge.

That's not cool at all. I'm just getting ready to order a #2. Actually, I hope it's hard as hell - that way when I get a #3 it won't feel so impossible!

Is your single stamp #3 mounted deeper than your 2004 #3 or do you think other factors contribute to it being more difficult? On the #2's I spoke of, the new #2 is mounted MUCH deeper than my single stamped filed #2.

My #2 is a pretty tough one and now that it is filed down, only guys who are at least knocking on the door to the 3 have closed it. I think that's why I closed the 3 as fast as I did. A filed tough 2 and an average 3 weren't that far apart in strength.

Supersqueeze's #2 is also pretty hard. He somehow managed to get a hard 2 and an obscenely hard 3!

Is your single stamp #3 mounted deeper than your 2004 #3 or do you think other factors contribute to it being more difficult? On the #2's I spoke of, the new #2 is mounted MUCH deeper than my single stamped filed #2.

I'm not sure about the spring mount, but the handles on my single-stamped #3 are definitely wider than my other #3's.

BC.

Jeff, I have tried at least 5 new #4's now and all of them are very different. They range from weaker to knurled brick! One of mine falls in the middle of this range and my other one is a knurled brick.

What was strange was how tough the sweep felt on a couple of them. On two of them, the sweep was squishy but then it hardened up at the last inch. On some others, it was hard the entire squeeze.

Edited by ClayEdgin

My new #3 is amoung the hardest I have felt-and-I have Rob Vigeant's super hard #3 at my house right now to compare it to.

My new #4 though appears to be easier then my old #4 as the spring is higher.

My new #2 is tough-but not that tough.

Rick Walker :rock

I have two new #3's, and one is right-on my other #3's, but the other is considerably wider and by far the hardest #3 I have. I don't foresee closing it any time soon. It's a beast. I'd appreciate watching someone else close it. (or me)

My #2 is right on with my old #2, but from what I've been told, both are harder than normal.

My new #4 is my only #4 and before seeing others comments I hesitated to post because I just figured all #4s were just bricks and I didn't want to come off as a whiner. Before I seasoned it, it took everything I had just to set it and forget about chest closing it. Post-seasoning I can chest close it whenever I want but it is still very hard right from the go. I will say that after working with it, setting all of my other grippers is child's play. I think I'm going to pick up at least one more in hopes of getting an "easier" one now that I know there is such a thing.

I'm glad that there is variation in all the grippers. it lets you get a nice range of grippers.

Variation in "force to close" can be about +- 10% to 15%, as a result of manufacturing errors in wire size (up to +-.002), sweep (up to +- 2 degrees), handle depth (up to +- 1/16"), coil diam ( ~ 5%). A given model for a given manufacturer can vary "all over the map", as many of you already know. This accounts for your observations that a gripper model can be "easy", "hard", "smooth", etc. However, it would be helpful if such relative terms could be quantified, within reason.

Note, the angle between the handles only determines the sweep needed to bring the handles to parallel. There is an extra final sweep ~7 degrees, that is necessary to get handle contact. If you file your gripper, then that extra sweep could run another several degrees and add significant difficulty to the close. Measuring that final sweep can be done fairly easily by using hose clamps to fix the closed position.

I would like to see posts (or Emails to me) of fairly careful measurements for these various geometric parameters for your grippers. From that I can run the "gripper equation" and determine reasonably well how your grippers line up re "force to close". IF you can get manufacturers to be very precise about the geometric param's for a specific model they plan to ship to you, then I can also run these numbers for you before purchase. Chances are, though, you won't get this data easily!

I see a lot, A LOT, of posts re this issue of gripper force variability.

See some of my other posts.

I would love to be as strong as Magnus samuelsson, he have cruched the #4 several times in a row :bow

I dont got any CoC yet, just ordered a couple of RB ones..

Cheers

Marcus :mosher

I don't foresee closing it any time soon. It's a beast. I'd appreciate watching someone else close it.

Eric,

Can ya send it to me?? I'd like to try it out..... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Thought some of you might find this interesting. I recently got my neighbor into the grippers and he can close my FILED single stamp #2 but can't close his new #2 with the engraving on it. I must have one easy #2 and that's probably why the jump to the #3 felt so huge.

Does anyone know if the coc#1 has the engraving on the handles?

Does anyone know if the coc#1 has the engraving on the handles?

Yes it does. I got one in January that has the engraving.