Bending Rags

SqeezeMasterFlash

After this weekend I appreciate the use of a good rag more than ever. All I'd ever used was a cheap washcloth. That was fine until I upped the intestity of my bends feeling the pressure of a time limit. I tore the hell out of my cloth and got a bad palm tear and a deep tissue bruise in my hand. Today at the advice of the Rob's I went to the bank and picked up a coin bag. Nice and tough I tried just forcing the tip of a nail through it layered up and it didn't come close to tearing. Hopefully this will mean the end of holes in my hands!

I don't dig the IM cloths after trying it on Sat. I'm all about the hand towel sized towel. Bigger than a washcloth, and there's enough overlap on the ends that I can gob them up and remove all fear of the puncture. So I would say do some experimenting until you find a favorite. I've tried a few different things now, and keep coming back to the terry cloth towels. I kept that 4.5", and I'm gonna bend it in my "normal" towel to officially put my mind at ease on that whole deal.

Edited by CMunger

PS: Mark ended up with a previously unseen metal sliver in his battle wound. Didn't start digging around in it until it was swelling up and getting really nasty today, so keep an eye on that thing. The tetanus shot periods can sneak up on a guy. I bet it's been 12 years since I've had one.

I use a red shop towel, like mechanics use. I fold this in half and then roll the nail up in it. I got this from my father-in-law, and he uses the same kind of towels to bend the shiny 60D common nails, except his towels are blue.

For a really tough bend (when I am trying a bend I have not mastered), I sometimes use two of these towels, folded in half a second time, with one on each end of the nail.

Keep grippin!

I use the same thing Chris. Red mechanic shop rags. They have worked great

for me so far. I just wear them out pretty quick though. I used two rags on tougher bends.

I use the none fluffy window towels from Target. I don't remember the exact name for them, but they are in the automotive section with the car wash stuff and there are two types (fluffy and non-fluffy). You get six in a pack for about $6 or $7. They will eventually start to tear but you just throw them away at that point. I'm not sure how they compare to some of the towels discussed previously but they are a surely a good, cheap towel.

I use a regular hand towl, but always have a strap over it so it is impossible to put a hole in my hand even if it goes through the towl. This way I can concentrate fully on the bend.

I'd never had an issue with it until this weekend. I guess I was just putting more into it at the competition than I had in training.

I have been using a dish drying towel that I stole when the old lady wasnt looking. also I have been taking some time to grind the points down on all of my nails, it only takes a few seconds for each one and is cheap insurance. I use a 4 inch grider and a pair of pliers to hold the nail...The blunt point also seems to help reduce palm pain post bending....Brett

I recently found Heavy Duty Terry-Cloth wash/shop rags at Wal-Mart. They're my new favorite. I can see the tiny holes, but it's nothing like a cheap-o wash cloth.

I have been bending for about 7 months now and before I found this site and the cyberpump gallery I had never tried rolling the nail in the washcloth before. My standard was to use leather gloves. I would fold them over and wrap one around each end of the nail. After I purchased the IR Bag of Nails in December, I started trying the technique that seems the most popular, wrapping with the IR colths or a towl. It is such a pain removing the steel from the cloth after its bent.

I recently completed a 6" Grade 5 1/4-20 bolt. The pressure from a bend like this has caused me to check the board regularly for info and hints as to how to better protect my hands.

Dave Stewart

I use the kevlar pads from IM and I think I've converted the rest of my family to them as well.

Just tried something new. I took a section of bank bag about the width of a nail and 8 or 9" long and cut it up the middle about 7 inches through. I wrapped the nail with this and the crushdown has never been easier on a 60d. Midget, Jedd and I were talking about this at strong arm tactics and how with really good cloths sometimes you're fighting the rag instead of the nail. Problem solved.

That cutting of the material up the middle is an ingenious idea. I'll have to try that.

I have been using the kevlar pad that came with the IM bag of nails.

I have to say that my least favorite part about bending is geting the nail out after the bend. I have experimented with different ways of folding to make this part easier but haven't found any.

I use the IM kevlar cloths as well. I use both of them, one for each end of the nail.

I first fold the pads into 6" x 6" squares, then, placing each nail end at the top of each pad, roll the pads over the ends and down towards the floor. This method thoroughly pads the nail on all sides, and since the middle of the nail is exposed, makes unwrapping very easy (the pads just slide off.) Padding this way may cause a problem if the nail ever breaks, but when I've used just one pad, it feels like I'm either fighting the padding (especially during the crush down), or don't have enough of it.

porkbone you are a genius!