Dexterity Balls

gerryg

How many of you use dexterity balls in your training?Is the dexterity ball book from John Brookfield worth buying?Thanks,Gerry!

I love dexterity balls!! I usually use them right after a hard grip workout and they really help loosen up your hand. They also serve as a good warmup before a gripworkout. Supposidly the chinese swear that they will help with total body health.

I've had them about 2 months and I like them quite a bit. The exercises that come with it are quite tough, and I still haven't mastered half of them. They are definitely a great way to warm up, and they really work on your dexterity, especially with your weak hand. They also work a bunch of little muscles that you can't really work any other way. If you get them, be patient, they're pretty frustrating at first, but you'll get the hang of the basic stuff pretty quick.

I enjoy them also. I haven't seen the dexterity ball book you referred to. I also like using 6.5 lb shotputs as recommended by Brookfield, but have only only able to do it a few times. I have some kind of wrist injury that I'm babying a little now, so am trying to avoid the shots.

Just in case anyone wants some cheap dexterity balls just use some normal billiard balls. They feel alittle different because dexterity balls are usually much heaveir.

The balls are the key to success.

My level 1 balls from Ironmind came with the book by John Brookfield.

ianders1,do you own the level 1 or 2 dexterity balls?

Level 1, but I promise you that they are challenging enough, especially if you do them really fast.

After you've had them for a week or two let me know if you're as uncoordinated as I am ;) I'm finally mastering all of the exercises with my right hand, but I think my left hand has a mind of its own!

Of course you guys like your balls! I've never heard of a guy who didn't like his balls. However, I remember hearing that if you play with 'em too much you'll go blind. :erm

-HH

After you've had them for a week or two let me know if you're as uncoordinated as I am ;) I'm finally mastering all of the exercises with my right hand, but I think my left hand has a mind of its own!

No problem,I'll keep you posted on my progress! But it takes about 10 days for UPS to get the stuff to my house in Mass! :D

Haven't seen the book yet, but I use normal sized chrome balls, 2 pound fishing weights(taped), 3 pound fishing weights(taped), and 6.5 pound shotputs. I'm trying to find something between 3 and 6.5 lbs.

I love the Dex balls too. Good for dexterity and recovery, and when done correctly, strength. Here's some alternatives:

The IM "bigger balls". I bought em, and love em. A good item. They are powder coated, and flake off for a few weeks, but after that, they're a good size.

Raquet balls slit open, stuffed with pennies (or dimes if you have them), and glued shut. I play with these the most.

An old set of pool balls. A buddy had an old set in his basement, so I grabbed them up. The smoothness makes it a challenge, and once you get good, they can make a good bar-bet. The old "Hey, a 60D nail, wanna bet I can bend it?", only works a few times, but cool pool ball rotations are better. Once you can rotate pool ball's upside down, you've got some good hands. I'm stuck at about 1.5 turns before I get stuck.

Golf balls. I tried these for a while, and they work fine. Smaller and more texture makes the easier, but the light weight makes them awkward.

Enjoy.

Im Proud to say that I've been using snooker balls for this exercise for some time now. Obviously there are no strength gains but it works wonders for recovery and coordination and I've come up with some cool tricks, havent read any of the books yet but I figure most of them would probably be in there already.

I have the level 1 and level 2 dexterity balls. They are great and verry addictive. I have been taking them to work and playing with them there. I have gotten a reputation for haveing these big heavy balls and everyone wants to see and play with them. Funny, the other day I was telling my buddy that over the weekend I played with my balls so much that my fingers are sore. I noticed over my shoulder a female eavesdropper was sitting there with her mouth wide open, oops. :yikes

My level 1 dexterity balls have arrived at my house.The basic palm rotation is no problem but I need lots of practice for some of these other exercises!The over the top is pretty tough!

The first day I got mine, I thought Brookfield was insane! Since you posted this originally, I've been playing with them everyday, and I'm getting closer to mastering them, well right-side up. I can do the normal rotation upside down, but I have no idea how to do the other ones upside down.

Also, my wife loves to tell people that I've been playing with my balls too much :laugh

I'm using your guys golf ball and racquet ball ideas. What are a few exercises for it? Palm rotations are where you just rotate them in your hands? They can't touch right? Are there any others? And does upside down mean just do the rotations with your palm upside down and have the ball on your palm and not the back of your hand?