Strong Arm Tactics

Bill Piche

Helluva contest! Check the size of Rob W.'s hands relative to his arms....holy crap.

Way to go BC, nice ink!

You should see the size of his forearms. For the 215 he weighs there massive is all hell.

I didn't even know that Shane did that until Jeff P. told me on the phone tonight! Awesome! Did anyone take a vid clip or pics of Sam kinking the Red?

BC.

I missed that, too. I smell a Farmer's Walk coming. He looked pretty comfortable with that. I might have to see if I can borrow the inchers next time I go visit my parents. :mosher

Brian,

I don't think there are any pics of Sam's warm-up bend. Just to clarify, it was not an IM red nail. It was 5/16" stock that Jeff B. had bought from the hardware store. Not trying to take anything away from Sam as it was still unbelievable.

As far as my take on the contest, I had a really good time even though I know I was capable of more in a couple of the events. I was really hoping to certify on Joe Peterson's number 3. I had closed it earlier in the week, but it just wasn't going at the contest. I finished with 162.5 on the plate pinch and it felt like max effort, can't ask for anything more there. The rolling thunder has never been my favorite implement but I had been getting better at it over the last couple of weeks, probably since I have incorporated more thick bar cleans into my workouts. Regardless, I ended up doing 148.75, about 20 lbs under my PR from 2 weeks ago. Bending was the only event that I shattered my PR in. Previously my best bend was a 5.5" blue with considerable effort. I have not bent since I did that about 3 months ago. I opened with a 6", then 5.5", then I thought go 5.25 but it was the last event and I hate leaving an event feeling like I could have done more. So I changed my last attempt to 5". Once it started moving I knew it was going down. I got it into the chest crush position and put it away easily. I unwrapped it and it was probably at least 1/4" off center. By far my best event of the day. Ended up in 11th place overall. Thank you Mr. Carlton for putting together a fantastic contest and I look forward to Feats with Hand where I will try to defend my title from last year(yeah right!).

Brian,

Great contest, very well run. Besides some rookie mistakes on my part I was very pleased, especially with all the talent that showed up. Some events that I would like to see would be: a thick bar event (either timed hold or deadlift), grippers of course (strap holds or max closable), I liked the 2 hand plate pinch and would like to redeem my self, and maybe a farmers walk for 20 feet with max weight. Oh yeah, no bending (I'm just a little biased now). :D Anyway, thanks again for the hospitality and advice that everyone gave.

Shane Larson

Shane- welcome to the GripBoard! I told you that this was the place to be for grip strength. It was really a pleasure to meet you.

You should have just taken one step with those Inch DB's and you could have been the fourth known person to farmer's walk with Inch's. Had you ever tried to pick one up before?

Hope to see more of you around here... and if you compete in the summer contest you'll be a serious contender for a top placing.

BC.

Brian,

I've learned a lot already from the gripboard! Thanks for the recommendation.

I don't think I could have gotten too far with the DB's but a little ride would have been plausible. I've never seen them before Saturday and I wanted to play with them before the contest but needed to save my energy!

CMUNGER (parents) should sweet talk whoever owns the inch(s) and snag them for a weekend when he comes back my way! The millenium shocked the sh*t out of me. I think it was tied down!!!

Shane Larson

Matt Makousky and I each own one of those Inches. I'm sure that if Chris wanted to take them for a weekend we can arrange that. Hell, I'd be tempted to make the trip myself just to see it happen again and take pics/vid. We'll talk more...

BC.

I'd absolutely be willing to bring the Inches with for a visit, and you'd be more than welcome to come as well, Brian. Inches, Nails, and Duffy's. :D It's about a 3 hour drive, not too bad. And I promise I won't sing along with the radio if you're with. :laugh

Shane your are a grip freak. You were a hair away from closing that Heavy elite which no one has ever done. Will you becoming to feats with hands? I hope so.

Thanks Jeff,

I was wondering about the Heavy elite. I have the 2's, 3's, and and Ivanko supergripper. I also have an Appollon axle but the genuis' at my gym don't always let us use it.

I would like to do more contests. The one for sure I'm looking at is Heartland Armwrestling's Super Grip 2004 around Mid-October. I will try to get to Feats With Hands but I have such a busy summer with 3+ weddings I'm in (one in MA).

Brian said the Heavy elite is yours; I can't find them anywhere online. Where did you snag yours?

Shane Larson

Shane the heavy elites are no longer available. The new version is a super elite. It is the heavy elite renamed. I would recomend calling Warren Tetting. He makes them. His number is 651-222-1889

Shane Matt is right. They don't make the HE any more. If you order a super elite now it will have the handles higher because that's how he makes them now. But either way I think you'll get it soon.

JS27 I'm not Brian but the third man was Matt Graham.