Bending Blues To Red

JeffPeterson

How cut does a blue have to be before someone could do a red. I don't know much about bending.

I dont think Rob V. has bent a red but I think he is real close and he just went 4" at this weekends contest. Hope this helps

Austin

I think you have to work harder steel, in between stuff, because the jump from even cut blues to red is probably akin to the gigantic gap between the #3 and the #4 to put it in gripper terms, and you need fillers. Start doing the 60d common brights, then Grade 5s, then shorter grade 5's, then Grade 8's, and then you should be knocking on the Red. I think the really short stuff requires a slightly different technique than the longer bars like the Red. Just my opinion. A 4 or 4.5" bar feels a lot different in your hands than a 6 or 5.5"

disclaimer: all this is "as I understand it" info (not like I've done all this and bent the Red or anything) and the route I'm trying to take in my bending. Right now I'm at the 6" Grade 5 stage, we'll see how I advance from here. My confidence took a bit of a shot yesterday, but I think I've rationalized myself past it. We'll see how a 5.5" Grade 5 goes later this week. :yikes

Edited by CMunger

Good summation C Munger. And destroy that 5.5!!!

I am becomming a bigger believer lately that the jump from blues to reds requires being able to bend different tempered steel and thicker steel. Training on cut blue just isn't going to get it cut, in my opinion.

Remember, there's 60 pennies, grade 5's, grade 8's, challenge bars, thicker HRS that you can buy from the store, etc.

I think one really needs to work on other stocks to get to the red.

-Jedd-

When you guys are bending Grade 5's and Grade 8's, how long and what diameter are you bending? To get back to Jeff's original point - what would the progression be from blue to red if you went down the graded bolt road?

The "normal" bolt you'll hear people referring to with Grade 5 and Grade 8 is 1/4", typically 6". Any other lengths usually specifically referred to.

As far as the progression, I haven't made the transition to Grade 8 yet, so I'm not sure where that will fall precisely. Maybe Pat can chime in with where he feels a Grade 8 compares to a Red. I'm guessing that when a 5.5" Grade 5 becomes a pretty straightforward bend that a guy should be able to be starting to scare a 6" Grade 8 with good effort. They're springy suckers that fight the whole way, though. No nice little give point like with HRS.

I find the Grade 8's (at least the ones I have) harder than even a 5" Grade 5, not too much harder but a bit. The 6" Grade 8's are a nice stepping stone to the Red, but they're still quite a bit easier in my opinion.

I'm fortunate that I have several types of 60d's that are even harder than Grade 8's and filled the gap nicely. My advice is stop in every hardware store you can and check their nail stock periodically. It's hit or miss as there is quite a bit of batch sensitivity.

It's funny, but I see vacations as the opportunity to find more different types of nails to bend.......it's a sickness for sure.

I also think it is very difficult to correlate cut blues to Reds. The difficulty in bending 4" or sub 4" is more the awkwardness of holding onto the piece. I still think they're a good bit easier than a Red Nail.......unless you have hands like Big Tony.

I also think it is very difficult to correlate cut blues to Reds. The difficulty in bending 4" or sub 4" is more the awkwardness of holding onto the piece. I still think they're a good bit easier than a Red Nail.......unless you have hands like Big Tony.

I agree........

Pat do you remember what nails (brands) are harder than grade 8s.

I've been looking everywhere and only found ones around grade 5 strength.

It would be nice to save some $ on stuff i'm just bending.

Thanks