Block Weight Starting

Bob Lipinski

Just curious-

I am thinking about playing with block weights. I will probably get the typical hex ones, since those are easy to find.

I Have pinched around 55 on the new IM block, and can do around 60-65 on 3.5" wood blocks. What weight should I start with on the hex bells? I want something that I could lift with a little strain, and maybe work up to tossing after a few months.

I know there is no great answer, just looking for a ballpark number.

If I remember, you have pretty small hands. If so I'd get the biggest you can comfortably grab. 70lb dumbell could be a good place to start: fairly wide, probably too easy for deads, but good for cleans, passin etc...

Tough to say. Good luck. Hex's are pretty cheap so a couple won't kill you.

After you get one you'll have a pretty good idea where you at.

-HH

Just curious-

I am thinking about playing with block weights. I will probably get the typical hex ones, since those are easy to find.

I Have pinched around 55 on the new IM block, and can do around 60-65 on 3.5" wood blocks. What weight should I start with on the hex bells? I want something that I could lift with a little strain, and maybe work up to tossing after a few months.

I know there is no great answer, just looking for a ballpark number.

Brookfield states in his book, {MOHS}, that he found a 30lb York blob will

stop even a weight trained guy. I do not think you are the "average guy" Bob, so I

agree with -HH on the 70lber or maybe 75 to start. Do I hear an 80? :)

Brookfield also states, that a guy can usually pinch twice as much weight when doing a regular pinch when compared to a York Blob pinch

Thanks guys. I was just looking for a good estimate. I think I'll try a 70 DB. I do have pretty small hands, but I'd like to build up a pretty respectable pinch anyways. When I meet up with some lifting buddies at powerlifting meets, they always seem to do better than I do in the pinch, even though they don't train grip much.

I definitely wouldnt get anything under 60. I started with the 50 and could lift it easily. In a week and with some chalk i was able to lift it with just about any finger. If you have the $, and you think you can lift half a 70, i'd get a 60 and an 80 or 85(you can always duct tape or tie small plates onto your lighter block weight to train for the larger). One a little lighter to do single finger or double finger holds & tosses, and one a little heavier so you have a goal to shoot for. You'd be surprised how motivating it is to own a blockweight you can't yet lift.

If you haven't gone out shopping yet Bob, make sure you look around a lot as Hexes come in different styles some are wider then others, some have more of an edge etc.

Jon@han

Alright, here is an update:

I went to the store, and just played around with the DB's. They were slick as hell, so was really worried I couldn't get anything up. I bought the 50, and sawed it down today.

Well, just to grab the thing it is nearly impossible. However, if I wash my hands and the hex block down real good, it is very easy. I cleaned it, snatched it, lifted it by the face, and lifted it with 15 pounds added on.

Looks like a 70 is next. Still like this one though, nice to throw around.