Wrist Roller: How-to

Henry Adolfo

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the starting equipment thread!

I just made my first wrist roller with a 2 feet length of 1.25 inches pvc pipe and a heavy nylon rope. It worked out good.

Today, after my power clean workout, did 5 rounds, rolling up and down(working the flexion) with 10lbs. The forearms were mildly sore.

Need some info on the following:

How should I work out in the long run?

Any other exercises?

What weight should I use?

Thanks in advance.

well do you want your forearms stronger or have more endurance then you can gauge what you want to do

I would say that I want both objectives, first endurance, then strength.

By the way, I am novice and had a carpal tunnel syndrome in the right, although is almost healed, I can do normal stuff without discomfort. This is why endurance is more important, at least for now.

First of all, does it fit in a rack? DO you have one? If not, the delts are gonna tire out well before the forearms.

I have been doing rather well rolling up one way then the other for 3-4 times, going as many times in a row as I can.

I think the wrist roller is a good exercise to take a little more for endurance, since it works the whole forearm muscles so well.

I saw David Horne's workouts with 100's of wrist curl reps, which inspired me to do some regular GPP/hypertrophy training for the forearms. I like the wrist roller.

Bob, thanks for the info!!!

It can fit, but I don't have a rack, just one barbell and a lot of weights, not even a squat rack!

I do them with forearms perpendicular to the floor, as in the top of the DL, so I'm not that worried about my delt getting pounded. Actually I find it harder to cheat this way.

Anything wrong with doing the wrist roller with perpendicular forearms???

If you don't have a rack you can hang a pipe between two chains hung from some rafters. I have been doing this with great success.

I have a picture of what it looks like here.

Grip Toys

PM me if you need more information.

Brian

br765:

Thanks for the idea! Gathering yours and other ideas, actually I made myself a setup, consisting of a ladder (those used for painting, 8´tall).

It was great, I worked out with the 10lbs and was kinda light, it´s alot easier with the setup.

Later on, I strapped a 20lbs dumbell to my roller and had quite a workout, hands and forearms were sore. Since the pvc is kinda slippery and frictionless, had a hard time even to hold onto the roller.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best wrist roller setups I have seen is offered by Newyork Barbell. You can check it out at www.newyorkbarbells.com

Their equipment is well built, and the wrist roller could be set up to work with either standard or olympic plates, depending on which type you use in your home gym.

Henry some variations are:

Roll the bar (up) towards you AND away from you. That way you work both parts of the forearm. Also, you can do it behind your back which is a good way to finish off the workout. Also, you can get some big rollerblade wheels or something like that and attach them to the ends of the roller for a psuedo Twist yo Wrist.

Edited by ianders1

One of the best wrist roller setups I have seen is offered by Newyork Barbell. You can check it out at www.newyorkbarbells.com

Their equipment is well built, and the wrist roller could be set up to work with either standard or olympic plates, depending on which type you use in your home gym.

Is this the one you're talking about?? This is what I use.

NYB Power Wrist Roller

:) Go for the high reps... use a weight that you can control with good technique for these high rep sets... rotate/bend your wrists as far forward/backward as they will go at each rotation... vary your rolling speed... try using different diameters of handles, wider and narrower... try a thin piece of rebar for a real grip rolling challenge... vary your grip, e.g.: try to grab just the butt ends and twist it up... hold the handle palms down as normal or with your palms facing up... while standing on a bench, stool, etc. hold the handle behind your back and roll it up... gooseneck your forearms while rolling...

grunt, sweat, moan, dance about, cry, continue... good luck and enjoy the pain! :D

Edited by wells

Sybersnot, that's the one. One thing to note about it is that you can set it up for either standard or olympic plates simply by switching the weight bar. (That's the bottom piece of the aparatus) This might be helpful to some.

Somebody all ready mentioned how David Horne does 100's of reps for the forearms. (wrist-curls, I think it was) and that is what you have to do. I have been working hands and arms for years and have built them very strong. You just can't do that by just doing 4-5 sets of work with a light weight. That gets you know where. I do dozens and dozens of sets every workout for forearms and the weight is very heavy. I start my warmups in the DB wrist-curl with 50's for a set of 20. Then I do another warmup with a 60 for another set of 20. Then I start my working set with an 80 and do a set of 20 and then I jump to a 100 pound DB and do sets of 20's. Then I will drop back to an 80 do two or three more sets of 20's. Then I use a wrist-roll with fifty pounds on it. It does not fit into a rack, but I don't have a proplem with sore shoulders. I have been doing this for so many years, that I am totally conditioned to it!

Sixgun

Thanks for the suggestions!

Currently I'm about to try the idea of having palms up, and the other of behind the back rolling. Normally I would do these in flexion and estension direction, so I'll add these ideas for more variation.

I regularly vary the grip width, not sure how much value it is, but definitely a different feel.

To sixguns:

One of the problems I've encountered is that the PVC is kinda slippery, that prevents me from doing more weight. The good thing is that I'm also getting to works the hands.

Then I start my working set with an 80 and do a set of 20 and then I jump to a 100 pound DB and do sets of 20's.

Hello Sixgun, do you ever do lower reps as part of your wrist curl routine? Those weights you do for high reps with DBs are great even for a single!