Bending Squares....

Darco

I was at the Hardware store and I noticed square steel rods, oddly enought the thinnest 3/16 had a tip painted white, with the thickest 5/8 being red. There all a foot long. Anybody ever try bending Square Rods ?

Yes, bending square rod is a lot tougher than bending the same size round rod. It looks way cool when bent though.

Bender recommends bending square rods on his webpage, as a way to help move up slower because it is harder than the same size in round stock.

I have yet to have the pleasure of bending any yet.

I suppose that I should pick up few and maybe try my hands (cheap pun) at bending....

I've tried some 1/4 plat steel and even at 8 inches long it was tough! Might just be lack of bending strength or maybe my steel is stronger because I couldn't even kink it! :ohmy

For a real challenge, bend a square bar on a corner. Grip the sucker like a bear and don't let it turn to the flat side on you.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

I followed the advice on Bender's website and started bending with 3/16 round.

After I cut that down to 5", I switched to 6" of 3/16 square.

It's definitely a harder bend and feels like a good step forward. When I can bend 5" of 3/16 square stock regularly, I'm going to move to 1/4 round.

Pick some up! It's a nice bend.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice challenge. I'm planning on using 1/4" square stock to help my move up to 5/16" HRS. I have seen estimates that 1/4" square is of similar strength to a grade 5.