Starting Grip Training

Henry Adolfo

My name is Henry, I have been a Olympic lifter for about 3-4 years. Recently I got CTS, carpal tunnel syndrome, in my right hand. Fortunately the rehab is going well. I don't know why, but this condition got me into the interest of grip training.

Since I have done zero grip training before, except for some pinching. what equipment should I get?

Also, which should be the first gripper to get, the 1 or trainer?

I though of buying a few books, grippers, tools and a strap from ironmind. Maybe I'll buy a twist yo wrist and eagle claw thing.

Thanks in advance.

If you have the money too spend:

#T-#4 COCs

Mastery of Hand Strength

Grip Masters Manual

Get a subscription to David Horne's Iron Grip magazine

The rest of the stuff can be made. Make some block weights, thick bars, etc.

Rick Walker :rock

A 50lb hex-head dumbell and a 10-lb sledge. Cut the dumbell to make a starter block weight, and use the sledge for levering.

A few grippers arn't nessesary, but they sure are fun.

Welcome to the Gripboard!

What are you most interested in in the grip world?

Thanks for the recommendation and the welcome!

Actually I have a pair of chinese dexterity balls, but I have dominated them about five years ago, at least the basic exercises. I bought them just because they were kinda odd, but i actually played with it for some years.

Regarding the grip world, I'm interested in (priority order):

1)finger and open hand strength: flexion and extention(very important becasuse I'm in rehab of carpal tunnel)

2)grippers: at least getting to close the famous COC#3

The sledge thing seems to be a good idea.

By the way, any suggestions for someone who is doing rehab from carpal tunnel syndrome?

Thanks in advance.

handhealth.com has some really good stuff for overall hand well being. I don't know how to link it... That will give you lots of info on extensor strength and whatnot.

The quest for the #3...the KTA program offered here at the Gripboard is a program designed specifically for people who want to progress on the grippers. Many people have seen dramatic gains by following that program.

Adding block weights and sledge work will really help your all around hand developement.

Based on what you've said here's my shopping recommendation:

handhealth.com

Mastery of Hand Strength (from Ironmind)

T-#4 (from Ironmind)

KTA program (from the Gripboard)

At a later date pick up some block weights, a sledge, and anything else that trips your fancy.

Enjoy!!!!!

Macronan:

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm currently looking thru that website and I kinda like it,has lots osf products and its informative.

Regarding grippers, I got one question:

Which should be my first gripper, the #1 or the trainer?

The problem is that I have heard that alot people close the #1 on the first try, no previous or specific training. So, I was questioning the need for purchasing the trainer, since the difference between 100lbs and 140lbs doesn't seem that big,but again, I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance

The trainer will become a Toy after minimal training. If you buy one, stick to the #1.

First of all Henry, Welcome.

Heres a link to Hand Health.

There are a number of exercises that can be done with Chinese Therapy balls.

Greg Irwin, the guy who runs the Hand Health site is the worlds authority on their use and has an excelent video on that subject. I highly recomend his "Finger Fitness" course as well as it helps immensely in developing flexibility and dexterity. Greg has a large selection of therapy balls of different sizes and weights, each aids in different types of development.

One of the most recommended exercises for treating carpal tunnel syndrome is wrist roller movements. IronMind makes an excellent model. Wrist roller work is highly underrated and can lead to amazing gains in a lot of different areas. With CTS symptoms, its probably a good idea to start out with no weight and roll in each direction for balanced development.

I like having the Trainer for active recovery and warming up. But Daddy always said I was an exceptionally odd boy.....

Wrist roller work is highly underrated and can lead to amazing gains in a lot of different areas.

John Wood,

What do you think about the New York Barbells version of the wrist roller called the Power Wrist Roller??

I'm currently doing work on it and the results are amazing!! :happy

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/0140.html

NYBB????...apparently?some good stuff but it appears a lot of it fabricated in China so i don't buy anything from them. Just how I feel about it.... coming from a part of the country that has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs over the last 5-10 years.

Of course-most steel is imported anyway..... but I prefer things fabricated on american soil and which indirectly puts 'somebody' to work.Whether its a guy running the lathe or the guy welding or the guy sweeping the steel shavings up off the floor.

Everything with the letter 'C' in front of the product identification serial numbers IS made in China.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Thanks for everyones reply and suggestion!

Those post on wrist roller got me to the next question:

Which wrist rollers are the best, the hand curl type(like the wicked) or the jar opener type(like the twistyo wrist)?

In addition to that, which other web-sale company sells rollers, apart from IM?

Since I got access to an assortment of pvc fittings and accessories, I might make one of those. Meanwhile, I try to get some grippers and a pin & carabiner.

Thanks in advance

You can use your 'hand curl type' wrist roller just like a twist yo wrist. Just grab it at the ends... You could even add a little 'hub' like hockey puck or a pvc cap at the end for a little more texture. You'd have to support the roller on top of something instead of with a bar through it but it works fine. My reccomendation is, if you want a really sweet one buy PDA, if you want a really cheap one buy NYBB, otherwise just make your own...

NYBB????...apparently?some good stuff but it appears a lot of it fabricated in China so i don't buy anything from them. Just how I feel about it.... coming from a part of the country that has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs over the last 5-10 years.

Of course-most steel is imported anyway..... but I prefer things fabricated on american soil and which indirectly puts 'somebody' to work.Whether its a guy running the lathe or the guy welding or the guy sweeping the steel shavings up off the floor.

If the Chinese can do it cheaper, then let them.

I'm glad that NYBB can sell nice equipment for cheap because it's made in China...that just means I can buy more.

If the Chinese can do it cheaper, then let them.

I'm glad that NYBB can sell nice equipment for cheap because it's made in China...that just means I can buy more.

I'll pass that on to my friends in the unemployment line.Lets just send all the jobs over there.Clearly they can do it for less.

Your right there is nothing wrong with human rights violations and children laborers and people being treated like slaves.

Its your soul.Not mine.But I wouldn't buy something(knowingly) from China if a gun was to my head.........

That idea of having one roller to perform the 2 functions is great. Thanks for the idea. I'll see if this weekend I can assemble one with pvc or galvanized tubes & fittings. I'll try to made a thick one, so it can serve better as the jar opener type.

On another subject, I know a lot of people use the IM CoC as a standard fopr means to measure crusshing strength, including maybe myself.

But, how does the feel and difficult of and IM CoC, compare with the HGs of similar rating? Differences, similarities, comments?

Thanks in advance.

My reccomendation is, ...., if you want a really cheap one buy NYBB

Now you're showing your ignorance. I have the NYB PWR and let me tell you - it's a piece of quality made construction. There's NOTHING "cheap" about it. I've gone heavy on it many times and it holds up just great.

Let me guess.... you're partial to PDA and have something against NYB. Am I right??

IMO ,Snotts right.Some of the NYBB stuff Probably is pretty good-quality-wise.Not much can be done incorrectly with a wrist roller anyway....my reasons for not purchasing is more than just politics and jobs and a fundamental belief in equal rights for all humans........The chinese almost ran over me in Tiananmen Square with a Tank.

I don't care for all that chrome on their bars either.It clashes with my broach.

There were several rule violations in this thread. Bashes, even subtle ones, about equipment companies are not allowed on these forums.

Thanks.

Where's that quote from Snott from? Is that directed toward me? Anyways, there IS something very "cheap" about nybb's equipment. The price. In fact i was considering in another thread about buying one of their power racks, I think that shows my confidence in the company. Other than that, just because it is a good and 'cheap' piece of equipment doesn't mean that PDA doesn't offer something good too.

I have to agree with Rieman on the other point though. What makes the US so strong is its ability to flexible, to innovate, and to allocate resources where they are most valuable. Running away from competitive Chinese products does none of these things. PDA and IM and Sorinex have won customers fairly because of their products and service.

Its your soul.Not mine.But I wouldn't buy something(knowingly) from China if a gun was to my head.........

Ok Wanna.i got it. :cool

THIS quote was so over the top i thought it would be clear that I was only half serious(about chinese goods) and half kidding.Sarcasm rarely comes off well on the internet. Some of the points i made about on 'imports from china' were based in some fact?....there are some overtime issues,health benefits and retirement funds that those folks over there are missing out on.

Clearly...as most on the forum lift weights?? we all have something chinese in our garages and gyms? ;) and I'm not talking about those 'blow up dolls' either. :laugh

I DO love asian cuisine :tongue and have nothing against NYBB......Seriously?I'm not really big on Chrome bars/weights in the gym though.Flakes off and really can become a nuisance.