I Have Seen The Light...

Clay Edgin

...and it is underhanded!

I know that some of the biggest benders on the board do the double underhand style, but I never felt comfortable doing it that way. Today I got some encouragement from Shrug to try it again, so I did. I figure hey, nothing about bending a nail feels comfortable, so maybe this underhand thing will work. Damn right it did! Three U'ed 60d nails in about 4 minutes, the first one taking all of about 10 seconds. My previous best was 3 60d nails over the course of an hour, starting the bend over my barbell on two of them and then crushing them down.

My weakness in bending has been getting that initial kink going so I can crush it down. I have crushed a Grade 5 after starting the bend over my barbell, so I know that's not the problem, but getting a kink in anything is hard. Still felt like I had some left in the tank after doing the first one, but the third one wiped me out.

I'm sure I'll look back on this post in a month and say "Damn, what a puss I was" while I'm bending 60d's in my sleep.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Nothin like findin your groove.

But I can't even bend a rule underhanded.

I still start the bend off 'Terminator' style, but then change to underhand for the crush. It seems to work better for me. I also at the end of each bending session bend a bar from straight in this underhand crush position, and I think this is helping greatly.

David

Everyone's got their groove.......constant experimentation is the way to go. Good to see everyone progressing!

I was using the terminator style and had pain in my left elbow (only did 2 workouts) and I just don't feel comfortable doing something that favors one side so I switched to underhand. This last week I bent my first 60d using that style. I came back home from work (2 weeks on a rig) and tried the "tough" timber ties I couldn't do 2 weeks ago, butter. I think most people (on the street that is) fail @ strength feats for 2 reasons 1) they don't know the proper style/technique for their body 2) they're not strong enough ;) My favorite saying at the rig is (after doing some kind of impressive lift/feat whatever) "yeah, there is a trick to it" "I thought so..." "yea, be really freakin strong!" I still have a hard time on the start of the bend underhand. If I can kink it to about 30º I can finish it. Oh, tore my first pack of cards too. Got 3 in a row, 1st was tough, 2nd was fast, 3rd damn near killed me. Thanks all for the advice. Here's to progress.

Mike, congrats on your first tear of a deck of cards! That's gotta be a great feelin!

Great job on tearing the cards. :bow

I can't wait until I can add that my bag of "tricks".

Keep grippin!

Chris

thanks guys, the gripboard has made a big difference in my motivation. no matter how hardcore you are, after years of isolation in the garage it helps to have some outside influence.

Underhand has always worked the best for me. I couldn't even bend a yellow, but nailed the blue as soon as I switched to underhand. I've tried Pat's style and have just never been able to make it work. It's all about your personal body leverages.