New Rules For Im Bending Coming?

ianders1

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the IM ticker today, but it was an article about the Holles' bending:

http://www.ironmind.com/morenews.php?id=647#647

The end of it is:

"Just as other benders have been quick to adopt the style used by Gavin Holle to great benefit, you might find it useful to emulate two Holle house rules for making a legitimate bend. "We only allow one continuous attempt at a nail, no pauses for a rest and a limit of about 40 seconds," said Nathan Holle. Give this a try and enjoy the boost it gives your own bending."

I wonder if Strossen is going to make this the official rule for bending the red in the future?

Boy, I bet the Mighty Atom would be embarrassed if he knew that he was copying Gavin's technique! ;) Just poking fun is all...

I think fighting a nail for a long time is great. IMO, as long as you don't take your hands off the nail (repositioning it is fine) and you don't sit down (passing out is okay), it's still an attempt. :)

I say as long as the bend is completed in the course of one's lifetime, it's legitimate.

I say as long as the bend is completed in the course of one's lifetime, it's legitimate.

That's what I would say - I mean for competition purposes maybe they should have some rules, but if you bend something yourself it shouldn't matter how long it takes.

Not to put down the holle's but i don't believe people are emulating his style considering he doesnt have any video of his bending, and the holle's in general seem pretty private about their grip feats. If anyone's style is being imitated it would be the people on this board who have video, picture, and detailed explanations of how they bend.

I wish the Holles would give some tips on how to perform their style. I still can't figure out Gavin starts a nail the way he does. I have to kink anything I'm bending first before I can move to Gavin's starting position. I've studied the pictures of him bending the red in the MILO and tried to emulate it and as soon as I started the nail felt like it was going to poke right through my hand. He must have some good pads or I'm misinterpreting the pictures. I'd be interested to know what kind of upper body strength Gavin has. For example, bench press, close grip bench press, weighted dip, military press, etc....

Watch for the book. :whistel

mAnvil: Very good point. I was a bit put off by the wording. The man-love that guy has for the Holle's is near shameful.

Edited by CMunger

I still can't figure out Gavin starts a nail the way he does

Its nice to know I'm not the only one who can't figure it out.

I noticed this in the piece on BC's contest

Also competing are two of only three people who have ever farmer's walked with Inch replicas

Who was the third guy to do the DIFW besides Jeff and Joel?

Edited by JS27

I'm a weak bender, but I've been able to blow through a timber tie using the Holle

style.

How do you avoid the point of the nail going through your hand using the Holle style? I'm a beginning bender myself but when I tried a TT starting out like the Holle's it felt like if I put any pressure on the nail the point was going to jab into me. Once I kinked the TT then I moved into the Holle's style and blew right through it. From the MILO pictures the surface of Gavin's hands don't look like they are parallel to the nail which is why I don't understand how he can avoid having the point go through him. That's why I have to kink the TT first so the surface of my hands can remain roughly parallel with nail and I can avoid a puncture wound. I would appreciate any input on this.

Jad,

I make certain that I have enough padding at the ends of the nail. I use an ordinary wash clothe or towel, cut to an appropriate size. Using the Holle style, when I have the nail under my chin, I concentrate on pulling up and at the same time, pulling down on the nail or piece of steel. My hands are more toward the ends of the nail. It is admittedly harder to get started, but as strong as you are (being a Captain of Crush) once you feel it give, you'll blow right through it.

Jad,

I make certain that I have enough padding at the ends of the nail. I use an ordinary wash clothe or towel, cut to an appropriate size. Using the Holle style, when I have the nail under my chin, I concentrate on pulling up and at the same time, pulling down on the nail or piece of steel. My hands are more toward the ends of the nail. It is admittedly harder to get started, but as strong as you are (being a Captain of Crush) once you feel it give, you'll blow right through it.

Thanks, I'll have to try it. I guess I wasn't using enough padding.