Mike dayton a super gripper !

Guest tomykelly

Guest tomykelly

I'm new here so if this man and site was shown forgive me .

I saw this guy over 30 years ago do some grip feats he was amazing .Hope this URL works his picture is at the bottom .

http://www.pinewoodkarate.com/yudansha/mdayton.htm

Pat

Mike Dayton is a karate student of Don Buck Hanshi.   Dayton is a former Mr. America known for his feats of strength including breaking handcuffs, tearing phone books, bending coins and breaking pliers. He also is known for his development of Ki (internal energy). At one time, he published a book on the subject.

He has competed in the "World's Strongest Men Contest" and has appeared on Merv Griffin's show "That's Incredible!"  In 1978 he set the Guinness World Record for "Object Smashing" for breaking, bending and destroying eight objects in two minutes - he broke two baseball bats, tore a Los Angeles phonebook lengthwise, snapped a metal file in three places, bent a large screwdriver, broke a pair of bolt cutters, and ripped a license plate in two.

During his early bodybuilding career he roomed with bodybuilding legend and Hollywood super-star Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Mike is a close friend of English karate legend Terry O'Neill, publisher of Fighting Arts Magazine.

Interesting that you mention Dayton breaking a file tomykelly, I had an old file that was almost worn smooth so I decided to break it.  I charged into it like it was going to be hard, but the thing snapped like a toothpick!  I think anybody could have broke that file.  I don't even think I mentioned it in my log it was so insignificant.  I think it was 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick.  I'll have to go find the two pieces and break them in half, that might be more challenging.  Maybe a 5/16" file would be more impressive to bend, but it would be a very expensive hobby!

Guest tomykelly

I didn't write that piece .I took it from that site .As far as the Mr .A.I to didn't think he ever won it but with all the Title's that was out there in the 70's I wasn;t sure .I know he did win the Teenage Mr.A. sometime in the 60's .I saw him compete in the AAU Mr.World I believe the first one in 72 .Don't know how he placed .Looked good though !

Dayton won Teen Mr. America July 9, 1967 and

was 5th in Mr. World Nov 6, 1971.

Back to grip. If anyone has any specifics on the

handcuffs that he broke, please post. I have

seen a group of strong men perform and break handcuffs,

which I suspect my grand-daughter could break, or

as Joe Kinney told me regarding the #2 gripper 'those

things ought to come in cereal boxes'. Ouch!

Guest tomykelly

I don;t know about all the stuff he claimed are on the up and up or not .But on the Strongest Man Show he did win the wrist roller event . So he had to have some strenght in his grip .

Does anyone ever here if he;s still around .I haven;t heard anything on him in years .

When I started reading this group I thought of him and wondered if anyone knew of him and his skills and where abouts  this group would .

Thanks !

Mike Dayton is certainly a very strong man, but his forte' is bodybuilding, NOT performing feats of strength.  Handcuff breaking is a stunt, and the handcuffs used are not police issue but rather "set up" for the feat itself.  Sorry to burst your bubble on Dayton....