Super Squats Hip Belt

br765

I have been eyeing Ironmind's Super Squats Hip Belt. I was wondering if anyone had one and if it is a good tool to add to my home gym.

Any comments or reviews will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Would you mind comparing the feel, and strength development you've experienced do to the use of the squat belt versus regular and front squats?

It's more of a lack of equipment for me. I like squats at the gym but I sometimes I can't make it and would like to get a quick leg workout at home.

br, ever try overhead squats? you don't need nearly as much weight or a rack for these, they may be something you might want to try when you can't make it to the gym.

Actually no, I didn't think of those. I will have to give that a try. Thank you

I have a used one for sale. PM me. I used it 2 times. It was just not my cup of tea using one.

I bought one after injuring my back at work, therapist said no squatting for

three months. That wasn't going to happen. I feel it doubles the intensity that

a conventional squat gives you, so if you put 200 lbs on the hip belt it feels

like a 400 lb back squat. There is no lower back strain whatsoever but it takes

some time to get used to it. The center of gravity is now beneath and a little

behind you so I recommend you have something to hold onto in front of you

to stabilize yourself during the exercise. This belt has actually help me add

size to my legs.

It is an okay training tool if and only if you can't bakc/front/ or overhead squat.

I feel it doubles the intensity that

a conventional squat gives you, so if you put 200 lbs on the hip belt it feels

like a 400 lb back squat.

I disagree Tom. I found I was able to handle the same weights I squat in it. It is more like the leg press to me as it takes away the balance issue and the needing of a strong core.

Of course, my comments may not be exact as I did not use the IM belt, but rather the belt that Elite Fitness sells (use to sell?)

At any rate if you have a bar and plates at home (you must have something if you can balt squat??) try full cleans or as others have suggested OH squats.

I would only reccomend the belt if you absolutly could not squat due to lower back problems-

Rick Walker :rock

I agree with Rick, by doing a belt squat you take the most important part out of the lift, THE CORE. Core strength has carry over to countless other exercises as well as almost everything in real world functional strength. Stick with back squats unless you have an injury that absolutely prevents them. :rock

Just because someone is capable of squatting doesn't mean that the HB squat is useless. There are many reasons to HB squat even if one can perform the regular squat. It can be used as a supplementary exercise in addition to the regular squat. Or... I used it effectively last year by HB squatting on Wednesday's and doing heavy strongman events on Saturdays. Two heavy back workouts in one week is not possible for me (at least the way I was training at the time), my legs recover much more quickly, and HB squats let me blast my legs better than I can get from strongman events without involving the back. And also, rather than pitting exercises against each other, the stand-alone positive aspect of HB squatting is the fact that there isn't a better leg exercise out there (my opinion, of course).

If you like deadlifts and your lower back is suspect, combining HB squats with Deads could be a way to go.

I personally love squatting, but they are not necessarily the only way to go. For a beginners I would recommend them absolutely, but as you get more advanced and know what you are doing I don't think they are as necessary.

I still do the conventional back squat, I just can't go heavy as often as I used to

before my injury. I strongly believe that the squat and the deadlift are the best

core movements. I usually superset the Hip Belt squats with conventional squats

for a real intense leg workout. I have built platforms for use at the gym that

allow me to go as deep as is physically possible with the hip belt, I mean way

below parallel. (ass on the grass I've heard). The platforms have raised heel

boards on them which also (with a hip belt) raises the intensity of the movement.

When doing these flat footed I found (as Rick stated and I agree) that the

intensity of the movement is the same. Nothing will replace a squat workout

but if you have injuries as I had the Hip Belt still allows you to hit the legs real

hard with no harm to your lower back. With experimentation I was able to design

a workout that works as well as a conventional squat workout or even as hard as

a 20 rep squat routine.