50d Common ?

kerbjr

Bought some nails from local farm and home store, got some 40D, 60D, and then ran across some 50D nails or so they were labled. They are a little bigger than the 40's and about 1 inch longer..I have never seen these refered to on the board, so were these things mis-labled or has anyone else ran across these before.....? Brett

I used to have some. Now they are all bent and the store no longer carries them. They were way easier than 60d nails but 1/2" shorter and a little thinner.

Mike M.

I haven't seen them. I came across some 40d's that were a bit larger than the other 40d's they had, but they were actually easier than the 40d brights. The nailes looked as f they were squeeze formed, tiny grooves running the entire length, around and up the head. interesting to examine, but that was about it.

Went back to the store today and bought some more, they are indeed 50D common. they are a little bit harder than the 40's but you are right in that they are way easier than the 60's.....Brett

On oil rigs we have 40,50, & 60d. They are used as shear bolts in pumps ie, the 40 will shear @ 3600psi, the 50 @ 4100psi, and the 60 @ 5000psi...thus limiting the pumps output. I have never seen 50d outside of the rig though.