60d Polebarn

chrisof4

I have finally crossed the 60D boundry! :rock

After wrestling for two weeks with a 60D polebarn nail, I finally U'd it today. It was already bent about 30 degrees from previous attempts, but I couldn't seem to bend it any more than this. After some warm-up nails this morning, and coming off my victory with the 1/4" carriage bolts, I went after it again in earnest. It took me about 10 minutes, but I finally bent it to about 120 degrees and got stuck again. :angry:

I rested for several hours, and came back to it this afternoon, and snapped it in half in about 5 seconds. :yikes

I followed it up with two more 40D polebarn nails as a victory dance.

By the end of this month, I hope to be able to do this all in one shot. Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement!

Chris

Conratulations on your victory Chris! Nothin like your first 60D!

By the way, did the nail literally snap in two?

Eric: I'm sure it did. EVERY polebarn-style nail I've tried has snapped on the crush. They're pretty brittle. I didn't like the sudden give, so I only bent a few of what I had. Chris: I'd pick up some of the 60d Galvanized Spiral Timber Ties for practice. I think they're roughly comparable to the polebarn nails, maybe a bit tougher, but they won't snap on you. So no sudden shock to your joints, and also it lets you practice the final stage of the crushdown.

:mosher Nice Bend! Keep on keeping on. Have you tried a true 60D yet?

Polebarn nails are weird in that they snap. I keep a box of them around for anyone that can bend a Yellow nail after training. I say "Hey, do you want to try a joke nail next?", and let them bend it. Not polite, perhaps rude, but the look on a guys face when the nail snaps is priceless. Then all the other guys who know what the "joke nail" is, all start laughing.

Watch now, in 1 month, that 60D polebarn nail will be nothing to you. Your technqiue and strength are going to surpass that nail so fast you'll be shocked. Just watch... and keep on bending. Safely. :happy

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone! It really means a lot to be able to share an accomplishment with people who actually understand what it is.

Yes, the nail literally snapped in half. I agree with CMunger, it is quite a shock when it gives, and I probably won't bend many of them. I feel the 5"x1/4" carriage bolt is almost as challenging, and it allows you to crush it all the way down with out snapping. It is also slightly under the 60D polebarn in difficulty, and I feel I need to strengthen up more before I attempt to progress again.

I have some 8"x1/4" hex head bolts that are slightly thicker than the carriage bolts. I managed to kink one of these, but I definately could not U it. My next goal is to U this by the end of February.

I have been trying to find some 60D timber-ties, but the Home Depot near me only carries 16D timber ties. I am going to check the Lowe's, but I think they might only carry the 8-twist/inch, and I am pretty sure I want the 12-twist/inch. In any event, if I can find them, I will pick up some and see what happens.

Keep grippin, everyone, and thanks for the support!

Hoorah! Devil Dog!

Home Depot carries them, so they should be there somewhere. I think most hardware items are universally stocked. The buckets will be kinda white-tranmslucent, on the floor level with the boxes of nails, and if they sell them singly, they'll be in a bin jsut above them.

I will check again for the timber ties next time I am at Home Depot. I guess I could just ask if they have any, but I hate having to ask where things are in a hardware store. It feels too much like asking for directions. :)

Chris

Congrats.

I have the timber ties, 8 twists, and they seem way harder than a 60d pole barn. Now I have 2 - 12 twist timber ties, found them in a bin @ lowe's but all they had to buy by the box was the 8 twist, and the 12's seem easier. I tested them and the 8 take like 240# to bend and the 1 - 12 I tested took around 185#. Is this consistent with everybody's experience?

Yes, the poles are brittle and if you bend them hard/fast they will snap. I have bent 1 or 2 out of maybe 3/4 dozen that didn't snap.

Asking for help at those stores doesnt help much usually, i kept asking if they had the 12 TT and he kept showing me a box of 8, he asked "whats the difference?" too long to explain.