Hose Clamping The Sucker!

anson

since i can't close my 3 i've closed it to about 3/4" shut and put a metal hose clamp on the handles right at the top- this was Dave's idea!- i'm able to close the 3 like this and it feels like a good workout. will leaving the clamp on (i havn't done this yet) weaken the spring over time? it's kind of a hassel for me to kneel on the gripper while screwing the clamp on, that's the only reason i ask. has anyone else used this method?

No it won't hurt the spring. I tried this too but I had a hell of a time keeping the clamp in place when the handles were forced together.

-HH

Hammerhead, did this help you close the #3? it's kind of scary to think of what would happen if the clamp failed and the scrapnel severs your carotid artery and...ok i'm just a worry wort! but it seems like this is a very good way for someone to build strength in the final part of the close on that unclosable gripper. :bow

I'm not even sure what a hose clamp is, but I use a piece of pipe fitting over my gripper. I wrapped tape around the spring and then put the pipe over it to avoid dinging up the spring.

I do not leave it on, however. I do not know if it would hurt the gripper, but I seriously doubt it.

-Jedd-

It won't hurt the gripper. I don't know how much I trust hose clamps, but pexter says that they will hold a #3 in place just fine.

I use a variety of things as chokers sometimes - just picked up a couple washers today with an inside diameter of 1.5". They fit everything except my BBSE and #4.

jedd- a hose clamp is just the worm clamp that holds your radator hose on your car, you adjust it with a screw. clay- where did you find the 1.5"washer? do you like this better than the hose clamp?

a hose clamp is just the worm clamp that holds your radiator hose on your car

OHHH. Okay.

What's a radiator?

-Jedd-

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I had a clamp break on me on my #4. It gets your attention real quick. YOu just know you are going to have metal in your hand. I was lucky. But I didn't learn anything from it ! :tongue

what kind of clamp were you using? i think for the heaver grippers Jedd's pipe idea sounds like it would be safer. i can tell that the hose clamp on the #3 is under some good tension, so if i get a heaver gripper i'll use something else.

No, I never used a hose clamp for grip training. I thought it sounded good, but it was impractical for me.

-HH

I'm not sure about a hose clamp. Are they designed to hold that kind of poundage? I would be nice as they are easy to adjust...

I use large, appx 1.5 inch washers. They are thick, wide, and strong. I got them from a farmer, free. You might get them at a farm equipment dealer, if there is one in your area. They are available online at http://www.mcmaster.com/

You can use a metal file to fine-tune them...

Edited by apdwler