6" Grade 5:

CMunger

Whew! I can add my name to the list. Grade 5 assasinated today about 12:45pm after Strongman training. Gripboard member Jeff Bissonette was not there (party-itis? :laugh ) but it was witnessed by Dave Voth, Mike Stanton, and Mark Waters. It went in under a minute, and I was especially surprised when I saw that it was an off-center bend, so it could probably have been a 5.5" bolt.

http://www.cruisebikes.net/botm/grade5.jpg

They haven't arrived yet, so I do not know. I ordered them on the slow boat to try to force myself to slow down a bit, but everything seems to be progressing pretty well, no unusual wrist pain so far. I think the projection was 5-6 weeks, so I should be seeing them soon. I'm hoping to be able to bring them to bseedot's contest for a bit of bending play afterwards, get a couple of benders certified at various levels.

PS: Thanks! I was pretty psyched, because like I said, I was kinda surprised. I think I was actually jumping up and down a bit afterwards. :blush

Edited by CMunger

Nice work! A couple weeks ago I couldn't even agitate the Grade 5 and this morning I kinked one, so I know your excitement!

Nice work man..Just curious as a new bender, how long did it take to progress to the grade 5. Does it come pretty quickly after the 60D??? Thanks for any input Brett

Well, it came pretty quickly, but to be honest, everything has on this whole bending thing for me. My first bending session, I couldn't bend a 7"x1/4". I kinked it, but it wouldn't go all the way. Within a few weeks I did a 4 5/8", then about what, 4 or 5 days ago I got the 60d... I bent the grade 5 then a 60d after it. So who knows. Every bending session has been a PR day for me for the most part. I can only surmise that everyone is different. All I can say is that if you believe you can do it, you'll stand a pretty good chnace.

Congratulations! I'd say you've entered the realm of some SERIOUS bending!

Did you notice that the Grade 5 remains very tough all the way through the crush down? Strongmitts agrees with me on this point. They just seem to have a much harder crushdown than do other nails and bars of a comparable initial bend difficulty.

Great Job!

Thank you.

Eric: Yeah, it never "gave up" like other bars I've done. It seemed like the final portion of the crush down was the most difficult for me. It's probably the "springiest" piece I've bent so far. Rumor has it the Grade 8 is even more so? Pexter described them as "trying to fight back" and I can definitely see where he gets that. The 60d felt like when I bent it it bent, while the Grade 5 felt much different.

Edited by CMunger

Does anyone have any websites or information about the characteristics of differnt steels or treatments to steel - example of why CRS, bolts, harder bolts all "feel" so different than HRS, nails, etc. Kind the science behind steel.

It's probably the "springiest" piece I've bent so far. Rumor has it the Grade 8 is even more so? Pexter described them as "trying to fight back" and I can definitely see where he gets that.

Oh great. I may have to modify my goal date of February 1st for the grade 8. But I'm still gonna try. I tried a 5 1/2" grade 5 tonight for the first time, and bent it to completion after fighting the crushdown for several minutes. When I unwrapped it I discovered that it came out quite asymmetrical as well. Those short bends are tough to the last drop!

I wonder how big a jump it is from a 5 1/2" grade 5 to the grade 8?

I wouldn't give up on Feb 1, and would actually look at the asymetrical bend of the 5.5" as encouraging. The thing prolly would have gone down like butter if you could have gotten the leverage 50/50. One thing I think I am going to try to work on before the Grade 8 comes around is getting my bends started in the middle. I think on the Grade 5 we can overpower the technical faux pax, but as we get higher up on the ladder, having clean symmetrical bends may become the difference between failure and success.

Edited by CMunger

I wouldn't give up on Feb 1, and would actually look at the asymetrical bend of the 5.5" as encouraging. The thing prolly would have gone down like butter if you could have gotten the leverage 50/50. One thing I think I am going to try to work on before the Grade 8 comes around is getting my bends started in the middle. I think on the Grade 5 we can overpower the technical faux pax, but as we get higher up on the ladder, having clean symmetrical bends may become the difference between failure and success.

Good points. I do try my best to get the bends centered, but apparently my hands are slipping from their original position, or they aren't quite centered to begin with, as it can be tricky to check for this with all the padding wrapped around the bar.

I do know that with the bends over 6" the main factor for causing asymmetrical bends is the fact that the nail always bends at the point just beyond my right forefinger. It must have to do with the way I torque my right hand more than my left.