Jump to content

Are these grippers rare?


povmaciulis ARMLIFTING

Recommended Posts

Found these Robert Baraban grippers sold locally are they worth to check?

Messenger_creation_5ee53092-4df1-401a-a95f-22dafe52e0c8.jpeg

Messenger_creation_567fd994-908d-4bbe-91e2-0825b6ff2a6d.jpeg

Messenger_creation_c0f20fea-41f1-42e9-984a-e427991ae23f.jpeg

Messenger_creation_2fbc94d1-a4d4-4bd6-81f8-21fbf35b34f4.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t know if they’re rare, but RB are really nice grippers anyway. If they’re at a reasonable price, I’d get them. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RB grippers are still produced, but I've never seen one with anodized handles. I wonder if it's a custom job.

Hopefully others will be able to tell you more about them

Edit: after I posted I remembered the RB Spectrum series. Maybe it's that. In that case, it's fairly rare!

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably not rare since they were sold in quite large quantities but they are not in production anymore atleast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, matek said:

Edit: after I posted I remembered the RB Spectrum series. Maybe it's that. In that case, it's fairly rare!

These are probably not from our SPECTRUM line, but are essentially the same thing. It says RB and not CPW on those handles (although I cannot guarantee 100% of SPECTRUMs had CPW).  Baraban did also offer the anodized option where green and purple are among the most common I have seen. There are SPECTRUM grippers out that which are black, blue, orange, red. I would say blue and orange are the REAL rare ones. 

image.png.2d8aab414cc05d2fc37d864bf440d94f.png

image.png.356d12a6023933e48ffd90abeafce6d6.png

image.png.90719bebcb69720eea61f477f63461a7.png

image.png.49886cee6a6356b2575e3f54e5247da0.png

Edited by Cannon
reworded
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the RBs are worth picking up regardless, if they are strengths ranges that you need for training. I enjoy the ones I have. I’ve got a mixture of the CPW Spectrums and non. 

I have a purple Spectrum 260N, a blue Spectrum 300N, a red non-Spectrum 180, and a blue non-Spectrum 210.

The 210 is particularly interesting because it has a black spring. Pretty rare from what I understand. I’ll post some pics when I get home from work tonight  

Then I have one more non-colored 300N. They feel a bit different, but I like them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I think the RBs are worth picking up regardless, if they are strengths ranges that you need for training. I enjoy the ones I have. I’ve got a mixture of the CPW Spectrums and non. 

I have a purple Spectrum 260N, a blue Spectrum 300N, a red non-Spectrum 180, and a blue non-Spectrum 210.

The 210 is particularly interesting because it has a black spring. Pretty rare from what I understand. I’ll post some pics when I get home from work tonight  

Then I have one more non-colored 300N. They feel a bit different, but I like them. 

Ditto.  I have a couple RBs and like them.  Took a photo of my lone black Spectrum to show folks the stamp.

CPW RB Spectrum Gripper.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of cool grippers in here! It is still surprising to me how tough many of these grippers can be to find. They’re not commonly sitting around on marketplaces.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, HephThor said:

Lots of cool grippers in here! It is still surprising to me how tough many of these grippers can be to find. They’re not commonly sitting around on marketplaces.  

Did a quick search.  Bought my black Spectrum almost two years ago exactly off the Cannon PowerWorks Used Gripper page for $35.

Key is to either set up an alert for when @Cannon updates the page OR check it obsessively like I do.  🔍👀  Happy hunting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They look nice. I did see some for sale on eBay, around 50$ each, a few months back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd definitely pick them up if you can. Before Grip Genie they were just about the only grippers that came in any color, and before the Standard Grippers they filled a lot of really useful ranges. I have a purple RB CPW Spectrum 330N that I really like. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8d3c031c2b9a9f0397db38888dc8f465.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I'd definitely pick them up if you can. Before Grip Genie they were just about the only grippers that came in any color, and before the Standard Grippers they filled a lot of really useful ranges. I have a purple RB CPW Spectrum 330N that I really like. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8d3c031c2b9a9f0397db38888dc8f465.jpeg

Nice one! That’s indeed a useful gripper (and looks ace). 

Edited by d_blocmann
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, devinhoo said:

I'd definitely pick them up if you can. Before Grip Genie they were just about the only grippers that came in any color, and before the Standard Grippers they filled a lot of really useful ranges. I have a purple RB CPW Spectrum 330N that I really like. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8d3c031c2b9a9f0397db38888dc8f465.jpeg

I really love the look of this one! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As promised, here’s my small RB family, including the odd black spring 210. 

@Cannon may know if this thing is actually rare or not. 

IMG_5478.thumb.jpeg.cb0357867d702fc680e903b5ccac28b3.jpegIMG_5479.thumb.jpeg.5d6a030928955c817c5f00e4cd8b1ce5.jpegIMG_5483.thumb.jpeg.d248fde633ff28bfd286d14657fa5aaf.jpegIMG_5484.thumb.jpeg.39f78047f0f570475b50d2b556e1cb80.jpeg

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is not a black spring, which is how many people refer to oil-tempered springs. Baraban commonly uses two types of springs which he calls chrome and “natural.” Chrome is self-explanatory. Natural is just piano wire off the coil, no further polish. The darker appearance is just patina from age. 

The rare thing about that gripper is the blue handles. The natural spring is very common. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are old RBs with black springs… and no markings too… kind of limited ones..

these are 20 years old:

 

IMG_5001.thumb.jpeg.403454e1b4790d893a3fc7a62e7d6c62.jpegIMG_5002.thumb.jpeg.4a64f38d100eae2f99103a93159da7c6.jpeg
 

black springs, very sharp knurling, slightly thinner handles

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

There are old RBs with black springs… and no markings too… kind of limited ones..

these are 20 years old:

 

IMG_5001.thumb.jpeg.403454e1b4790d893a3fc7a62e7d6c62.jpegIMG_5002.thumb.jpeg.4a64f38d100eae2f99103a93159da7c6.jpeg
 

black springs, very sharp knurling, slightly thinner handles

The skull one looks credibly like an oil tempered. The blue and green look like tarnished piano wire to me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago there was a site I think in Holland that sold chrome, natural also oil tempered springs they even listed version with extended handles. Like most things grip you never think items will stop being made until its too late.

I have a red and a filed blue both 130.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure black polished springs on Barabans are rare. They were last produced 15-20 years ago.

They are black not because of patina or age that is how they were built and sold 🙂

Edited by insane.warrior
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

They are black not because of patina or age that is how they were built and sold 🙂

If they were oil-tempered, yes. Can you say more about “black polished but not patina”? I’m not familiar with what process that would be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Cannon said:

If they were oil-tempered, yes. Can you say more about “black polished but not patina”? I’m not familiar with what process that would be. 

Sorry, for some reason I confused patina with rust 🙃

I think you are right if you have researched the issue enough because I have not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, insane.warrior said:

Sorry, for some reason I confused patina with rust 🙃

I probably should have stuck with “tarnished”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.