Are these grippers rare?

povmaciulis ARMLIFTING

Found these Robert Baraban grippers sold locally are they worth to check?

Messenger_creation_5ee53092-4df1-401a-a95f-22dafe52e0c8.jpeg

Messenger_creation_567fd994-908d-4bbe-91e2-0825b6ff2a6d.jpeg

Messenger_creation_c0f20fea-41f1-42e9-984a-e427991ae23f.jpeg

Messenger_creation_2fbc94d1-a4d4-4bd6-81f8-21fbf35b34f4.jpeg

• Like 9

Don’t know if they’re rare, but RB are really nice grippers anyway. If they’re at a reasonable price, I’d get them. 

• Like 2

RB grippers are still produced, but I've never seen one with anodized handles. I wonder if it's a custom job.

Hopefully others will be able to tell you more about them

Edit: after I posted I remembered the RB Spectrum series. Maybe it's that. In that case, it's fairly rare!

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

Probably not rare since they were sold in quite large quantities but they are not in production anymore atleast.

6 hours ago, matek said:

Edit: after I posted I remembered the RB Spectrum series. Maybe it's that. In that case, it's fairly rare!

These are probably not from our SPECTRUM line, but are essentially the same thing. It says RB and not CPW on those handles (although I cannot guarantee 100% of SPECTRUMs had CPW).  Baraban did also offer the anodized option where green and purple are among the most common I have seen. There are SPECTRUM grippers out that which are black, blue, orange, red. I would say blue and orange are the REAL rare ones. 

image.png.2d8aab414cc05d2fc37d864bf440d94f.png

image.png.356d12a6023933e48ffd90abeafce6d6.png

image.png.90719bebcb69720eea61f477f63461a7.png

image.png.49886cee6a6356b2575e3f54e5247da0.png

Edited by Cannon
reworded
  • Like 6

Really interesting.

I think the RBs are worth picking up regardless, if they are strengths ranges that you need for training. I enjoy the ones I have. I’ve got a mixture of the CPW Spectrums and non. 

I have a purple Spectrum 260N, a blue Spectrum 300N, a red non-Spectrum 180, and a blue non-Spectrum 210.

The 210 is particularly interesting because it has a black spring. Pretty rare from what I understand. I’ll post some pics when I get home from work tonight  

Then I have one more non-colored 300N. They feel a bit different, but I like them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I think the RBs are worth picking up regardless, if they are strengths ranges that you need for training. I enjoy the ones I have. I’ve got a mixture of the CPW Spectrums and non. 

I have a purple Spectrum 260N, a blue Spectrum 300N, a red non-Spectrum 180, and a blue non-Spectrum 210.

The 210 is particularly interesting because it has a black spring. Pretty rare from what I understand. I’ll post some pics when I get home from work tonight  

Then I have one more non-colored 300N. They feel a bit different, but I like them. 

Ditto.  I have a couple RBs and like them.  Took a photo of my lone black Spectrum to show folks the stamp.

CPW RB Spectrum Gripper.jpg

• Like 5

Lots of cool grippers in here! It is still surprising to me how tough many of these grippers can be to find. They’re not commonly sitting around on marketplaces.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HephThor said:

Lots of cool grippers in here! It is still surprising to me how tough many of these grippers can be to find. They’re not commonly sitting around on marketplaces.  

Did a quick search.  Bought my black Spectrum almost two years ago exactly off the Cannon PowerWorks Used Gripper page for $35.

Key is to either set up an alert for when @Cannon updates the page OR check it obsessively like I do.  🔍👀  Happy hunting!

• Like 1

They look nice. I did see some for sale on eBay, around 50$ each, a few months back.

• Like 1

I'd definitely pick them up if you can. Before Grip Genie they were just about the only grippers that came in any color, and before the Standard Grippers they filled a lot of really useful ranges. I have a purple RB CPW Spectrum 330N that I really like. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8d3c031c2b9a9f0397db38888dc8f465.jpeg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I'd definitely pick them up if you can. Before Grip Genie they were just about the only grippers that came in any color, and before the Standard Grippers they filled a lot of really useful ranges. I have a purple RB CPW Spectrum 330N that I really like. 

Nice one! That’s indeed a useful gripper (and looks ace). 

Edited by d_blocmann

2 hours ago, devinhoo said:

I really love the look of this one! 

As promised, here’s my small RB family, including the odd black spring 210. 

@Cannon may know if this thing is actually rare or not. 

IMG_5478.thumb.jpeg.cb0357867d702fc680e903b5ccac28b3.jpegIMG_5479.thumb.jpeg.5d6a030928955c817c5f00e4cd8b1ce5.jpegIMG_5483.thumb.jpeg.d248fde633ff28bfd286d14657fa5aaf.jpegIMG_5484.thumb.jpeg.39f78047f0f570475b50d2b556e1cb80.jpeg

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 4

That is not a black spring, which is how many people refer to oil-tempered springs. Baraban commonly uses two types of springs which he calls chrome and “natural.” Chrome is self-explanatory. Natural is just piano wire off the coil, no further polish. The darker appearance is just patina from age. 

The rare thing about that gripper is the blue handles. The natural spring is very common. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are old RBs with black springs… and no markings too… kind of limited ones..

these are 20 years old:

IMG_5001.thumb.jpeg.403454e1b4790d893a3fc7a62e7d6c62.jpegIMG_5002.thumb.jpeg.4a64f38d100eae2f99103a93159da7c6.jpeg

black springs, very sharp knurling, slightly thinner handles

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

There are old RBs with black springs… and no markings too… kind of limited ones..

these are 20 years old:

IMG_5001.thumb.jpeg.403454e1b4790d893a3fc7a62e7d6c62.jpegIMG_5002.thumb.jpeg.4a64f38d100eae2f99103a93159da7c6.jpeg

black springs, very sharp knurling, slightly thinner handles

The skull one looks credibly like an oil tempered. The blue and green look like tarnished piano wire to me. 

• Like 2

Years ago there was a site I think in Holland that sold chrome, natural also oil tempered springs they even listed version with extended handles. Like most things grip you never think items will stop being made until its too late.

I have a red and a filed blue both 130.

• Like 2

I'm sure black polished springs on Barabans are rare. They were last produced 15-20 years ago.

They are black not because of patina or age that is how they were built and sold 🙂

Edited by insane.warrior

3 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

They are black not because of patina or age that is how they were built and sold 🙂

If they were oil-tempered, yes. Can you say more about “black polished but not patina”? I’m not familiar with what process that would be. 

53 minutes ago, Cannon said:

If they were oil-tempered, yes. Can you say more about “black polished but not patina”? I’m not familiar with what process that would be. 

Sorry, for some reason I confused patina with rust 🙃

I think you are right if you have researched the issue enough because I have not.

• Like 1

way cool grippers. 

1 hour ago, insane.warrior said:

Sorry, for some reason I confused patina with rust 🙃

I probably should have stuck with “tarnished”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1