Looking for a GSI event runner for future meet in Albany NY

C8Myotome

Hello,

I am trying to organize a future Gripsport International meet at a very big powerlifting gym in this area, I have already got the thumbs up to use the space. I haven't attented a GSI meet before so I don't feel that I am prepared to run one yet, and am mostly interested in doing my first one to attempt a body weight/RGC new gripper world record.

If there is anyone near this area or who would be interested in travelling to this area to run a GSI meet and/or compete in one please let me know, so I could get an idea of potential turnout too. There are calibrated plates available, saxon, axle, etc, and tons of space. I did my first powerlifting meet at this gym also. There is a very big powerlifting scene here so it would also be a great way to introduce a lot of powerlifters into grip. I have already been in contact with Eric and Jedd with questions, right now I am just trying to find someone with some experience who would be able to organize running it. I figure after doing at least 1, I may learn how they work and would be open to hosting them myself in the future as well.

• Like 5

If anyone can help out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.  I can't commit to something like this right now, as I have several things already planned in the coming months.  I'm available to assist to get things going through phone/email, and I thank @C8Myotome for wanting to get this thing going.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

and am mostly interested in doing my first one to attempt a body weight/RGC new gripper world record.

Can you give more info about this? To my knowledge this isn’t tracked and there is no good data about who has done what. What is considered the current record that you hope to beat? Or there is no record and you want to set the bar? I wasn’t sure if you meant new gripper record as in better result, or new gripper record as in never done before.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Can you give more info about this? To my knowledge this isn’t tracked and there is no good data about who has done what. What is considered the current record that you hope to beat? Or there is no record and you want to set the bar? I wasn’t sure if you meant new gripper record as in better result, or new gripper record as in never done before.

Someone on reddit sent me the following 2 links

https://www.gripsport.org/lists.php?list=3&gender=1&event=281&country=all&measurement=1

https://www.gripsport.org/lists.php?list=3&gender=1&event=8&country=all&measurement=1

Is gripsport international different from north american grip sport or is it the same thing, just country vs world wide?

On these pages it stages the 93 kg 30 mm current close record is 175 RGC. At high 180s to low 190s body weight (I forgot) I've closed 180 rgc with a 38 mm block, which surpasses that.

I am also 4 lbs away from entering the 83 kg class, where the current 20 mm record is 179 lbs rgc, and I have done 183 lbs rgc, so I could likely have a go at that one as well.

Are these just national records or international?

I also may have found an event runner, the guy who ran the powerlifting meet I did at this gym is going to call me in 2 weeks after he returns to the country from vacation, who is local here.

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1

I get it now. You just mean gripper weight class record. I thought you were talking about gripper as a percentage of bodyweight as a record. 

In Jedd's weekly GSI Newsletter (which you can subscribe to by getting him your email address) he stylizes GSI as follows:

This is the weekly update from GSI (Grip Sport International, formerly NAGS, North American Grip Sport) the ORIGINAL Grip Federation. 

So GSI and NAGS are the same thing now, but I do believe GSI is a more encompassing umbrella than NAGS was by itself (North America only). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Someone on reddit sent me the following 2 links

https://www.gripsport.org/lists.php?list=3&gender=1&event=281&country=all&measurement=1

https://www.gripsport.org/lists.php?list=3&gender=1&event=8&country=all&measurement=1

Is gripsport international different from north american grip sport or is it the same thing, just country vs world wide?

On these pages it stages the 93 kg 30 mm current close record is 175 RGC. At high 180s to low 190s body weight (I forgot) I've closed 180 rgc with a 38 mm block, which surpasses that.

I am also 4 lbs away from entering the 83 kg class, where the current 20 mm record is 179 lbs rgc, and I have done 183 lbs rgc, so I could likely have a go at that one as well.

Are these just national records or international?

I also may have found an event runner, the guy who ran the powerlifting meet I did at this gym is going to call me in 2 weeks after he returns to the country from vacation, who is local here.

NAGS and GSI are the same organization.  Those are worldwide results of sanctioned meets.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 5:01 PM, C8Myotome said:

Hello,

I am trying to organize a future Gripsport International meet at a very big powerlifting gym in this area, I have already got the thumbs up to use the space. I haven't attented a GSI meet before so I don't feel that I am prepared to run one yet, and am mostly interested in doing my first one to attempt a body weight/RGC new gripper world record.

If there is anyone near this area or who would be interested in travelling to this area to run a GSI meet and/or compete in one please let me know, so I could get an idea of potential turnout too. There are calibrated plates available, saxon, axle, etc, and tons of space. I did my first powerlifting meet at this gym also. There is a very big powerlifting scene here so it would also be a great way to introduce a lot of powerlifters into grip. I have already been in contact with Eric and Jedd with questions, right now I am just trying to find someone with some experience who would be able to organize running it. I figure after doing at least 1, I may learn how they work and would be open to hosting them myself in the future as well.

I live about 100 miles west of Albany and I would certainly try to attend it. I know some guys up north in the Queensbury area who train a lot and occasionally train grip stuff, so I think I could convince them to attend. I have no experience running any events though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamhoke said:

I live about 100 miles west of Albany and I would certainly try to attend it. I know some guys up north in the Queensbury area who train a lot and occasionally train grip stuff, so I think I could convince them to attend. I have no experience running any events though.

That's awesome, I am 1 hour south of Queensbury. They may have heard of ABC Sports and Fitness where we are setting this up, people go very out of their way to go to this gym. I figure it will be several months from now anyways once organized just to give people time to plan, train and advertise etc. Here's the website: https://www.abcsportsandfitness.com/

• Like 1

I grew up near Albany and now live about 2 hours south and I've hosted steel bending comps and attended several grip comps, though all of that was some time ago...

Happy to try and help however I can based on what the needs are, timing, etc. 

Edited by KRC
  • Like 1