I got my new rolling thunder handle today and it's challenging me

alan_fra

Hi , so I got the 60 mm RT and my thumb is 3 mm away from touching my mid finger when wrapped around it so my hand size seems large enough to tackle  this handle. I tried and got up to 53 kg. But then 55 kg seems very hard as I lifted it only about a quarter of an inch off the group. Ironmind is really expecting a lot on the crush of dust challenge because 90 kg seems far off. And I've done the hub at 20 kg the first day and can easily close a Coc 2

• Like 2

The CTD is really 90% about the RT lift - I have no idea why it is so "unbalanced", but it's their rules, so... yeah.

The Hub is also a hand size question to an extent, I have really small hands and I can kind of just "grab" it with my fingertips and my palm almost touches the hub at the same time, which just makes technique almost irrelevant for the 20 kilos needed for CTD (ofc if I wanted to lift more than 20 kilos, I'd need to learn proper technique, but thinking on how easy it is for a beginner, mini hands person like me to just go and lift the amount needed without even training for it that much, it's not optimal for the challenge I would say). 

CoC 2 is almost the same, I started from zero and had to work myself up from CoC Trainer to 2, which I still am training to close with CCS, but take any heavy manual labor worker and give them a few weeks to polish up the technique on how to close a gripper; They'll close the 2 in no time. Maybe not CCS but still.

If I were to be in charge of the CTD cert, I wouldn't necessarily lower the amount needed for a RT lift; Any cert worth, well, certifying, should be something you exclusively train for, so I would just increase the Hub to 25 or 27,5 kilos, and the gripper to a CoC 2.5. It wouldn't be ideal still, but the gap would be a lot closer.

• Like 3

Yes, I also just got to 20 kg on the hub without focusing on technique and it was within like 2 hours of my first day using it so it's definitely not as challenging as it seems according to Ironmind. The Coc 2 took about 6 weeks to close but it was easy enough. The RT feels more extreme like there's a huge gap to get to 90 kilograms. I've heard that some  coc 3 closers haven't gotten to 90 kg RT so that's very unbalanced to say you must do 90 kg Rt to certify on CTD. I'd say that a fair score would be something like 70 or 75 kg on RT. Otherwise it would make sense to increase the hub to like 25 kg and Coc to a 2.5 because by the time you can do rt 90 kg you likely will be able to close the other two things at the level I mentioned.

Is the titans telegraph key good for increasing the Rt kg? I've heard the thumb might need to be stronger 💪. What do you guys think about that 

• Like 1

I'm taking a break for probably another week as my right finger knuckle is still sore from overtraining. It's been a month now since it was I injured. Has anyone else had knuckle problems? I noticed it's on the left half edge of the knuckle which corresponds to the twisting force when the grippers are being turned over and closed. I tried the dynamometer yesterday and max was 78 and today's was 76 kg while my best is 83 kg. 

Squeezing the dyno everyday is the same as maxing on grippers everyday, btw.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Squeezing the dyno everyday is the same as maxing on grippers everyday, btw.

😬. Looks like I need to stop that as well in order to heal faster and properly. I was restraining myself from most of the grippers anyways but now I see I need to go cold turkey on both grippers and Dyno. 

1 hour ago, alan_fra said:

😬. Looks like I need to stop that as well in order to heal faster and properly. I was restraining myself from most of the grippers anyways but now I see I need to go cold turkey on both grippers and Dyno. 

Its very easy to over do it.. 

2 hours ago, alan_fra said:

I'm taking a break for probably another week as my right finger knuckle is still sore from overtraining. It's been a month now since it was I injured. Has anyone else had knuckle problems? I noticed it's on the left half edge of the knuckle which corresponds to the twisting force when the grippers are being turned over and closed. I tried the dynamometer yesterday and max was 78 and today's was 76 kg while my best is 83 kg. 

I've had all sorts of hand pain between working out and construction.  

On 5/31/2024 at 10:31 AM, alan_fra said:

Yes, I also just got to 20 kg on the hub without focusing on technique and it was within like 2 hours of my first day using it so it's definitely not as challenging as it seems according to Ironmind. The Coc 2 took about 6 weeks to close but it was easy enough. The RT feels more extreme like there's a huge gap to get to 90 kilograms. I've heard that some  coc 3 closers haven't gotten to 90 kg RT so that's very unbalanced to say you must do 90 kg Rt to certify on CTD. I'd say that a fair score would be something like 70 or 75 kg on RT. Otherwise it would make sense to increase the hub to like 25 kg and Coc to a 2.5 because by the time you can do rt 90 kg you likely will be able to close the other two things at the level I mentioned.

Is the titans telegraph key good for increasing the Rt kg? I've heard the thumb might need to be stronger 💪. What do you guys think about that 

I can't see it hurting using the TTK.. But I wouldn't go anywhere near max.   Maybe throw it in twice a week for sets of 12-20 but not heavy at all.

I train with my rolling handle twice a week. Regular one day, thumbless the other, and I throw in some holds. 

A grip coach could really help you, save you time and potentially avoid injuries.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Its very easy to over do it.. 

I've had all sorts of hand pain between working out and construction.  

I can't see it hurting using the TTK.. But I wouldn't go anywhere near max.   Maybe throw it in twice a week for sets of 12-20 but not heavy at all.

I train with my rolling handle twice a week. Regular one day, thumbless the other, and I throw in some holds. 

A grip coach could really help you, save you time and potentially avoid injuries.

Yeah, hand pain can be pretty common but hopefully we get stronger after the pain goes away :). Ok, so I plan to get a pony pinch kit which is like the TTK to train my hands and I think that will strengthen them some more. I have some rubber bands - around 10 that I use right now to do extensor band training - and I do about 200 reps on each hand and then rest for 10 minutes and more and do another 200 reps. I think that will help rehab the hand some more. I'm doing the elliptical around 10 km a day now to get blood flow increased so that healing is faster also. With the rolling handle, the hub and pinch block ... I have to temporarily cease doing them until I'm fully healed as they do use a considerable amount of knuckle strength. Thanks for your Advice !

I did 3 sets of Bench Press yesterday and my triceps have doms but my forearms seems fine. It's just that I tried the dynamometer with my left hand and I'm weaker today by 10 percent. My PR is 66 kg but could only do 60.5 kg so far today. Is it normal to have a weaker grip after bench press the next day ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alan_fra said:

I did 3 sets of Bench Press yesterday and my triceps have doms but my forearms seems fine. It's just that I tried the dynamometer with my left hand and I'm weaker today by 10 percent. My PR is 66 kg but could only do 60.5 kg so far today. Is it normal to have a weaker grip after bench press the next day ?

Id imagine yes.. It may be more than that. Did you sleep good the last few nights, booze it up to much, was work stressful?

These factors affect my grip just as much as the previous session.   I honestly think you should only using the Dynamometer every few weeks or month, at the end of a certain cycle or something like that. 

There are so many factors, just focus on getting stronger. Sometimes I have to lower the weight and then spent the next few weeks building back up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Id imagine yes.. It may be more than that. Did you sleep good the last few nights, booze it up to much, was work stressful?

These factors affect my grip just as much as the previous session.   I honestly think you should only using the Dynamometer every few weeks or month, at the end of a certain cycle or something like that. 

There are so many factors, just focus on getting stronger. Sometimes I have to lower the weight and then spent the next few weeks building back up. 

I rarely drink, maybe sometimes a beer. I didn't drink a beer though in over a week. Work wasn't stressful. I slept ok. Maybe because I did rubber bands extensor training. 10 rubbers bands 3 sets of 200 reps for each hand. I got a pump and a burn so that could have weakened me today. Yeah, there's many factors. What matters is getting stronger. And of course lowering weight might necessary to get back to your peak and go beyond it also

As you mentioned 66KG is your PR. What is your average? Constantly checking after workouts could not only be counter productive but harmful. The way I would look at your testing is the same as checking your 1 rep max after a workout. You would not do it you would plan a workout to build up to testing it. I see no difference in testing your grip.

14 hours ago, Busa said:

As you mentioned 66KG is your PR. What is your average? Constantly checking after workouts could not only be counter productive but harmful. The way I would look at your testing is the same as checking your 1 rep max after a workout. You would not do it you would plan a workout to build up to testing it. I see no difference in testing your grip.

I'm not sure what my average is haha. I was just constantly checking sometimes in the morning , then after workouts as well. I get a lot now at 60 kg , right early in the morning it was 57.5 kg today. When I'm more awake I guess its 60 , 61 kg. Maybe it would be prudent not to do it as much and do it when I feel very strong

• Like 1

I think as mentioned after a training cycle would be a good time to gauge things say every 4 - 8 weeks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alan_fra said:

I'm not sure what my average is haha. I was just constantly checking sometimes in the morning , then after workouts as well. I get a lot now at 60 kg , right early in the morning it was 57.5 kg today. When I'm more awake I guess its 60 , 61 kg. Maybe it would be prudent not to do it as much and do it when I feel very strong

21 minutes ago, Busa said:

I think as mentioned after a training cycle would be a good time to gauge things say every 4 - 8 weeks.

yes... Do yourself a favor and put that thing away for 2 months. Dont touch it, dont think about it. Just train smart and consistent.  Pick it back up sometime mid August when you are feeling strong and rested and give it a squeeze. 

I don't train grippers and I suck at them but every few months after a de-load I up my non rated  1, 1.5 and 2 and use them and every time I am actually a little better at them.  

• Like 2