Hitting a object with a stick or pipe for grip strength?

Irish Grip

Also seen an armwrestler doing a similar exercise with a hammer as part of growing his hands bigger, Can any of the more experienced people on here say anything on this? As when I seen the video, I instantly thought of slim the hammer man breaking rocks in the quarry for many  years and we all seen what he was able to do.

• Like 1

Not even the same.  I don’t see something like this being beneficial at all.  

plus There’s a MASSIVE difference between splitting stone and swinging a hammer with purpose in 90 degree sun  vs beating a sandbag with a stick in an air conditioned gym.

Slim got strong by working in a quarry, day in day out,  in the elements, and weather I’d assume he’d get laid off in the winter time though but that’s besides the point. On top of that  he also trained hard. Although I’m not sure what his routine looked like but I’m sure it was intense.

Also everyone talks about him swinging a sledge hammer but those rocks didn’t load themselves into the excavator bucket or dump truck.  

get a tire hit that or split wood. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

...  Slim got strong by working in a quarry, day in day out,  in the elements, and weather I’d assume he’d get laid off in the winter time though but that’s besides the point. On top of that  he also trained hard. Although I’m not sure what his routine looked like but I’m sure it was intense.

Also everyone talks about him swinging a sledge hammer but those rocks didn’t load themselves into the excavator bucket or dump truck.  ...

Echoing what Joe said, Slim had great functional strength and a tremendous work ethic.  According to this old video, "he trains religiously every night from 7 to 11" after working all day.

Plus he was using heavy hammers that provided resistance.  Not sure an unloaded stick would provide comparable carryover.

• Like 4

All I have to do is spin a broomstick around?  I've been working way too hard.

• Haha 7

If you're 95 and recovering from open heart surgery, a fractured hip, cancer, and the flu then yes twirling around a light stick will improve grip strength 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

The only thing similar I can think of might be Sword Fighting.  They come in various weights and styles and while I know nothing about the sport (or combat) I think it was more so the constant "levering/movement at the wrist " than the "hits" - but having never done this who am I to say?  I do Levering semi religiously but with a single end DB kind of thing or a sledge hammer with various weight on the end.  I do know that back in the day when I worked for a Tree Trimming Co and swung an axe a lot I had a pretty good workout (of course we did a lot more than swing an axe) - it of course included the "hits" or jarring effect.  Will it / can it work?  Beats me - I don't think it will with that light a stick - maybe do a progressive resistance thing with it and keep using heavier and heavier "sticks".  I have to think there's a better way forward then this for what we do in Grip Sport?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cool, just wanted to hear what you guys thought as it's not the first time I've seen this kind of stuff. I don't do any of this type training, just came upon the vid yesterday.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Irish Grip said:

Cool, just wanted to hear what you guys thought as it's not the first time I've seen this kind of stuff. I don't do any of this type training, just came upon the vid yesterday.

It's a good question.  I just thought the stick twirling warm up was funny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Irish Grip said:

like Dubya said it’s a good question but that dude that made that video is a bonehead, that does nothing for grip and making jokes about hitting kids isn’t funny either.

Honestly I’ve been thinking about getting a few wheelbarrows of stone, loading it up pushing and dumping and doing circuits. Plus sledgehammer swings in between. Even filling it up with stone dust and pretending to mix concrete. That would be much more worthwhile.

• Like 3

I agree 100%. And with post on slim the hammer man. I just come across vids on grip stuff sometimes. And I do be curious. So it's great to have this forum. And the knowledge and advice here.

• Like 1

It took me 3 tries to get myself to watch this, and I now regret shortening my life by 27 seconds.

• Haha 3