I lose strength and it goes backwards instead of forwards.

Fredrik W

I have been training grips for 1.5 years and on average 2 times a week constantly since I started with grippers and without a break. I've been gaining strength all the time, even if it's been slow. I have clamped my Cc2 without any problem and it is a heavy no. 2, I had a maximum of a few mm left on no. 2.5. But the last few days of training, I feel that the body no longer responds, it's stopped and I've had to go down in grippers to cope. tried my #2 the other day and couldn't get it together! I've tried many different programs but usually do mixed training heavy with few reps and lighter periods with several reps. My question is if it is normal that all of a sudden after so much training and success it can all of a sudden start going backwards and the grip no longer responds like it used to. I'm driving as usual so I'll see what happens but I think it's very strange! I'm 53 years old now and haven't had a break in 1.5 years and don't feel any inflammation or any other discomfort but the grip and forearms have lost their goddamn name

First of all, please just post with normal text. It's really tedious to read you comments when you use that type of letters to write with.

There's nothing strange, you're either just over trained and needs to rest and recover or you have been doing to much heavy closes and not enough volume with lighter grippers. Grip is no different than other types of lifting, if you only do the same thing all the time you will reach a plateau after a while. Take some time off and then start over again.

• Like 5

Don't know why the text looks weird here, it looks normal to me. Funny because I've been training much harder periodically than now and all of a sudden you lose strength and the grip doesn't respond. I'll blow on it and see when it turns around because it doesn't hurt!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fredrik W said:

Don't know why the text looks weird here, it looks normal to me. Funny because I've been training much harder periodically than now and all of a sudden you lose strength and the grip doesn't respond. I'll blow on it and see when it turns around because it doesn't hurt!

Yes this post is normal.

Don't worry about your strength. Grippers are hard to program since you can't really choose the exact load to use. It makes training a bit harder than normal lifting because of that. It's normal to get very fatigued from grip work. Grippers are extra hard sometimes because you pretty much never get soreness from it, just fatigue. So it can be hard to know if you have recovered fully or not. It's easy to overdo it because of this.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 3

Grippers can put a big hit on your CNS.  Linear progression can only go on so long before a change becomes necessary.  Take a break - change things up - train some different aspects of Grip Strength for a period of time - then return to the grippers.  I'm not talking a couple days off but a few weeks - give your body time to reset.  Eat well - recover better - Good Luck!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Grippers can put a big hit on your CNS.  Linear progression can only go on so long before a change becomes necessary.  Take a break - change things up - train some different aspects of Grip Strength for a period of time - then return to the grippers.  I'm not talking a couple days off but a few weeks - give your body time to reset.  Eat well - recover better - Good Luck!

💯

• Like 3

21 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

💯

It's been tough for a few weeks now, but today I already felt when I warmed up that the muscles started to respond again. Drove lightly and didn't try anything on Cc2 or 2.5, now it will be a few weeks of easier training on no. 1.5 and 1 and run a lot of reps. There were three eights today at 1.5 and two super sets 1.5 1 0.5 T as many as I could manage. Going to stay away from the heavy grippers for a while and build more foundation. I thought I built a lot of foundation in 1.5 years but it takes time and at the age of 53 the body doesn't respond like it did at 20 but my goal is Cc2.5 and it should be together before the end of the year, I hope.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fredrik W said:

It's been tough for a few weeks now, but today I already felt when I warmed up that the muscles started to respond again. Drove lightly and didn't try anything on Cc2 or 2.5, now it will be a few weeks of easier training on no. 1.5 and 1 and run a lot of reps. There were three eights today at 1.5 and two super sets 1.5 1 0.5 T as many as I could manage. Going to stay away from the heavy grippers for a while and build more foundation. I thought I built a lot of foundation in 1.5 years but it takes time and at the age of 53 the body doesn't respond like it did at 20 but my goal is Cc2.5 and it should be together before the end of the year, I hope.

Enjoy the journey.  We all have points where we struggle with these things.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

Enjoy the journey.  We all have points where we struggle with these things.

This. I’ve been at it on and off for 9 or so years, and progress seems to come in fits and spurts. Enjoy progress, persevere in plateaus, and try to keep it fun! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fredrik W said:

Train hard smart and consistently and you will yield the results you want.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back and stronger than ever. Have been practicing and crossed the standing still now and today it was 3X5 on gravt no. 2 and a few eights on 1.5 so I'm satisfied. Now it will be fin to drive towards 2.5

• Like 3

It's always hard to remember that "rest" IS training - and just as necessary.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, climber511 said:

It's always hard to remember that "rest" IS training - and just as necessary.

And can oftentimes take more discipline to do correctly. . . 

• Like 5