New to Grippers. Alex (AllMight_) Training Log? Need input.

Good afternoon, y'all. My name is Alex, and I'm new to Grip Training/Grippers. My current goal is to close the IM CoC#3 and consistently crush the 2.5. I have been using various methods to help me achieve this, though time will be the determining factor for evident progression. 

My week does not have a consistent structure, but I can say that daily, I perform a few sets/reps at a PSS with an SG Copper RGC 105, CoC #2 RGC 111, and an HG250 RGC 113. I Powerlift and predominantly compete in benchpress, so I indirectly work out the arms and forearms through various pulling supplemental lifts (Pull-ups, Cannonball grip Pull-Ups, Lat Pulldowns, Hammer Curls, Barbell Shrugs, Bent-over Rows, etc.).

How many times do you recommend working the grippers, and what does my volume/frequency look like in a proper gripper split?

I know this is subjective to the person but would like an idea to get a better gauge on how to t

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There's really not one answer to this. As you touch on in your last sentence, it's completley up to the individual. Every thing from trainin once every 10 days to training six times a week has been working. It's relly up to you.

In my opinion, at your level, I think 2-3 times a week is a good start. Higher reps on one day aand another day lower reps. If 3 times a week, I would do first day in the rep range of 8-10 reps (starting at 10 reps). Second day I would do 20+ reps, you can experiement and go really high here. But I would start with 20 if I wasn't used to a lot of volume. Last day lower reps, in the range of 3-5 reps (starting at 5).

You can switch this up as you go, if you feel there's no progression, try switching it up, like switching the order of the workouts. If I had a really high rep workout in there I would always do that one in the middle tho. Swithing the rep counts as well, like starting heavier with 3 reps etc.

You can start on lower reps also with the same grippers and add one rep to each set you do per week. Let's say you start at 8 reps with a gripper you can do 10-12 reps with, add 1 rep each week to all the sets.

I don't know how much volume you're used to doing. You need to start at a level you know you can handle and slowly build up to more volume over time. So the amount of sets you're doing should be based on that. 

I would suggest starting with only 3 sets on the heavy day and also 3 sets, maybe 4 on the volume day. Then I would start with 4 sets if you have a super high rep workout in there. Instead of adding reps to that I would add sets instead, so 5 sets on week 2 and then 6 sets on week 3. Then after that I would add 2 reps and go back to 4 sets, starting over.

How you train with grippers depends a lot on what grippers you have access to. It's not like lifting weights where you can decide the exact resistance every time.

I highly recommend adjustable grippers by the way, they are great since you can choose the resistance more exactly.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 2

A good place to start is to read thru the grip well. Lots of great information there on training and structure.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

There's really not one answer to this. As you touch on in your last sentence, it's completley up to the individual. Every thing from trainin once every 10 days to training six times a week has been working. It's relly up to you.

In my opinion, at your level, I think 2-3 times a week is a good start. Higher reps on one day aand another day lower reps. If 3 times a week, I would do first day in the rep range of 8-10 reps (starting at 10 reps). Second day I would do 20+ reps, you can experiement and go really high here. But I would start with 20 if I wasn't used to a lot of volume. Last day lower reps, in the range of 3-5 reps (starting at 5).

You can switch this up as you go, if you feel there's no progression, try switching it up, like switching the order of the workouts. If I had a really high rep workout in there I would always do that one in the middle tho. Swithing the rep counts as well, like starting heavier with 3 reps etc.

You can start on lower reps also with the same grippers and add one rep to each set you do per week. Let's say you start at 8 reps with a gripper you can do 10-12 reps with, add 1 rep each week to all the sets.

I don't know how much volume you're used to doing. You need to start at a level you know you can handle and slowly build up to more volume over time. So the amount of sets you're doing should be based on that. 

I would suggest starting with only 3 sets on the heavy day and also 3 sets, maybe 4 on the volume day. Then I would start with 4 sets if you have a super high rep workout in there. Instead of adding reps to that I would add sets instead, so 5 sets on week 2 and then 6 sets on week 3. Then after that I would add 2 reps and go back to 4 sets, starting over.

How you train with grippers depends a lot on what grippers you have access to. It's not like lifting weights where you can decide the exact resistance every time.

I highly recommend adjustable grippers by the way, they are great since you can choose the resistance more exactly.

Thank you for the detailed response. I have 15 grippers ranged from an RGC 34 to RGC 130 (coc#2.5) my current pss max. I can consistently close a Cu 118 for 1 pss every other day. 

I have plenty of grippers that fill the gaps for training so I can give a format like that of what you have suggested. 

I will post and keep you all up to date with the progress.

thanks

8 hours ago, Rob McMurren said:

A good place to start is to read thru the grip well. Lots of great information there on training and structure.  

Thank you, is that a thread here on the grip board? I will look for it. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, AllMight_ said:

Good afternoon, y'all. My name is Alex, and I'm new to Grip Training/Grippers. My current goal is to close the IM CoC#3 and consistently crush the 2.5. I have been using various methods to help me achieve this, though time will be the determining factor for evident progression. 

My week does not have a consistent structure, but I can say that daily, I perform a few sets/reps at a PSS with an SG Copper RGC 105, CoC #2 RGC 111, and an HG250 RGC 113. I Powerlift and predominantly compete in benchpress, so I indirectly work out the arms and forearms through various pulling supplemental lifts (Pull-ups, Cannonball grip Pull-Ups, Lat Pulldowns, Hammer Curls, Barbell Shrugs, Bent-over Rows, etc.).

How many times do you recommend working the grippers, and what does my volume/frequency look like in a proper gripper split?

I know this is subjective to the person but would like an idea to get a better gauge on how to t

Given that I’m also very new to grippers, I also use to compete as a power lifter, obviously the answer will differ for everyone, but I think a good starting point of understanding, is now that you’re new, you can train grippers like your squat, maximally twice a week, similar set and rep range structure for an off season block and then a peak season block.

once you start getting quite strong, you’d be looking at programming it more like your deadlift, maximally once a week, also similar rep and set ranges, with some back off sets to work weaknesses.

this is what I’ve gathered so far.

a good example is to follow Ivan’s training page/youtube

Edited by CruxGripman
  • Like 2

Yea this 

4 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

Given that I’m also very new to grippers, I also use to compete as a power lifter, obviously the answer will differ for everyone, but I think a good starting point of understanding, is now that you’re new, you can train grippers like your squat, maximally twice a week, similar set and rep range structure for an off season block and then a peak season block.

once you start getting quite strong, you’d be looking at programming it more like your deadlift, maximally once a week, also similar rep and set ranges, with some back off sets to work weaknesses.

this is what I’ve gathered so far.

a good example is to follow Ivan’s training page/youtube

This makes perfect sense. Great it like a powerlifting deadlift split. I will provide you all with my training plan soon. 

10 hours ago, AllMight_ said:

Thank you, is that a thread here on the grip board? I will look for it. 

It's a section where acomplished grip athletes gets interviewed by other forum members.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's a section where acomplished grip athletes gets interviewed by other forum members.

Got it thank you

I have framed out my week to train Grippers twice a week. This will ensure that I only train heavy grippers once, and on the second day, I'll be training grippers for setting practice and volume at lighter working weights. 

I will try this and hope to see some good results (treating it as an individual powerlift). On other training days where I am powerlifting, I will include some flexor and extensor work along with holds such as farmer carries dead hangs and cannonball grip pull-ups. 

I will post progress and workout routine in the near future as time progresses.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, AllMight_ said:

Here’s. Platinum rgc 118 close and a 2.5 coc slip

Sure looked like you had the #2.5!!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Sure looked like you had the #2.5!!!

Man but it slipped! I’m not too greedy, I’ll come back for it next time haha

1 hour ago, AllMight_ said:

Here’s. Platinum rgc 118 close and a 2.5 coc slip

Very close with that 2.5, you will get it next time!
It also happened with me before. It's a combination of not using enough chalk and being too "greedy" and going too low with the fingers. Plus it's easy to get spoiled with Standards because of their superior knurling ahah😅

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, matek said:

Very close with that 2.5, you will get it next time!
It also happened with me before. It's a combination of not using enough chalk and being too "greedy" and going too low with the fingers. Plus it's easy to get spoiled with Standards because of their superior knurling ahah😅

Thanks brother.

Man @Cannon grippers sure are something else. Top quality Knurling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of today’s training and finished off with a coc2.5 rgc 123. I have annother 2.5 and it is significantly more difficult than this one. I find it mind boggling that there is such a discrepancy in weight.

the cannonball pull-ups have gotten much stronger. I messed around with a spinning 60mm handle and have some work to do.. 

Anyhow, great training session today!

IMG_8270.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, AllMight_ said:

Some of today’s training and finished off with a coc2.5 rgc 123. I have annother 2.5 and it is significantly more difficult than this one. I find it mind boggling that there is such a discrepancy in weight.

the cannonball pull-ups have gotten much stronger. I messed around with a spinning 60mm handle and have some work to do.. 

Anyhow, great training session today!

IMG_8270.jpeg

Easy, time to get a setting block 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

Easy, time to get a setting block 😂

Yeah I think it’s about time haha

Please refer to this thread for those who are following my progress and would like to see what I'm doing to train. I have started a new thread dedicated to my training log and grip activities, done weekly alongside my strength training.

• Like 3