bending with just the initial burst

hudsonnoah

Would doing a full steel bend with a time limit of just the time that you can hold the initial burst be best for developing explosive power? and would it allow easier programming as well? As we all know that a singular rep is equivalent to around 2 seconds under isometric/eccentric movement.

18 minutes ago, hudsonnoah said:

Would doing a full steel bend with a time limit of just the time that you can hold the initial burst be best for developing explosive power? and would it allow easier programming as well? As we all know that a singular rep is equivalent to around 2 seconds under isometric/eccentric movement.

What are your goals exactly?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

What are your goals exactly?

general hand, wrist & finger strength & grip-related explosive power to transfer to wrestling performance are my goals in bending atleast

Edited by hudsonnoah
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, hudsonnoah said:

I'm not sure if I understand this, especially because you mentioned "full bend". Let's say I can hold my first hit for 4 seconds. So, based on your criterion, my time limit for the bend is 4 seconds. So I hit it once, and that's it. It's impossible to bend anything serious like this DO (if you mean full bend by sub 2"). DU and reverse are of course, possible  but still not very productive (or more like; meaningless. sometimes it takes only a hit, but sometimes it takes more. why not finish the bar before moving into the next if you can finish it)

It's remotely connected to this, but some people had success separating their kink-sweep and crush days for DO. 

Edited by matek

1 minute ago, matek said:

I'm not sure if I understand this, especially because you mentioned "full bend". Let's say I can hold my first hit for 4 seconds. So, based on your criterion, my time limit for the bend is 4 seconds. So I hit it once, and that's it. It's impossible to bend anything serious like this DO (if you mean full bend by sub 2"). DU and reverse are of course, possible  but still not very productive. 

It's remotely connected to this, but some people had success separating their kink-sweep and crush days for DO. 

but as far as I know the initial burst can last up to 10 seconds for some people, especially of those who practised in isometrics? I could be totally wrong about this though.

1 minute ago, hudsonnoah said:

but as far as I know the initial burst can last up to 10 seconds for some people, especially of those who practised in isometrics? I could be totally wrong about this though.

Yes, sure, but not because they finished the bend fully, but because the kink/kink-initial sweep took that long. For anything serious, if it's a full bend, you need to reposition your hands at least one time for the crush, but most likely more. 

I recommend you watch some of the top bends at the Horrido DO list

Isometrics are great of course and beneficial. 

5 minutes ago, hudsonnoah said:

general hand, wrist & finger strength & grip-related explosive power to transfer to wrestling performance are my goals in bending atleast

it sounds to me you want to train grip/wrist for a specific task, improving your grappling which is great and very smart.

And being strong bender will obviously aid in grappling but like we said before bend to bend and grapple to grapple. Even better just buy a wrist developer off David Horne and don’t even bother bending if all your looking for is strength.

Bending is great and fun, and very beneficial but it’s taxing and might effect your grappling performance if you don’t program carefully m.

Daniel Strauss literally just put out a book on this very subject two weeks ago. He’s a BJJ guy but does a lot of grip and other feats of strength. 

I think some thick bar, maybe Napalms Nightmare and a few attachments, a sledge and plate curls are way to go if you are just looking to strengthen wrists and forearms.

• Like 1

Just now, matek said:

Yes, sure, but not because they finished the bend fully, but because the kink/kink-initial sweep took that long. For anything serious, if it's a full bend, you need to reposition your hands at least one time for the crush, but most likely more. 

I recommend you watch some of the top bends at the Horrido DO list

Isometrics are great of course and beneficial. 

Well of course you'd need to use weaker steel to work but I don't necessarily see a problem in that as its in a different ruleset so everythings different

1 minute ago, hudsonnoah said:

Well of course you'd need to use weaker steel to work but I don't necessarily see a problem in that as its in a different ruleset so everythings different

It's not about rules.
Just try it. You will understand what I mean. Trying to sub 2" bend in one hit is unrealistic for multiple reasons.

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

it sounds to me you want to train grip/wrist for a specific task, improving your grappling which is great and very smart.

And being strong bender will obviously aid in grappling but like we said before bend to bend and grapple to grapple. Even better just buy a wrist developer off David Horne and don’t even bother bending if all your looking for is strength.

Bending is great and fun, and very beneficial but it’s taxing and might effect your grappling performance if you don’t program carefully m.

Daniel Strauss literally just put out a book on this very subject two weeks ago. He’s a BJJ guy but does a lot of grip and other feats of strength. 

I think some thick bar, maybe Napalms Nightmare and a few attachments, a sledge and plate curls are way to go if you are just looking to strengthen wrists and forearms.

I'll look into that wrist developer, thanks although I'd like to say that I find bending enjoyable so perhaps I could just do it every so often for fun

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, matek said:

It's not about rules.
Just try it. You will understand what I mean. Trying to sub 2" bend in one hit is unrealistic for multiple reasons.

alright fair thanks for the info

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hudsonnoah said:

I'll look into that wrist developer, thanks although I'd like to say that I find bending enjoyable so perhaps I could just do it every so often for fun

Go for it, Jedd  Johnson helped me with coaching, he’s put out books on it, you could always reach out to him. I stopped due to it slowing down other goals but I miss bending a lot. You can totally do both at the same time you just may have to cycle which one is more important.

I know Daniel Strauss likes wrist developer because he said it helped him with a certain hold/move. He’s also good friend with David Horne. 

keep your wraps tight and chalked, for isos 7 second holds are good.

buy some 60ds and drill rod, either go up in diameter or down in length. 

Edited by Blacksmith513

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Go for it, Jedd  Johnson helped me with coaching, he’s put out books on it, you could always reach out to him. I stopped due to it slowing down other goals but I miss bending a lot. You can totally do both at the same time you just may have to cycle which one is more important.

I know Daniel Strauss likes wrist developer because he said it helped him with a certain hold/move. He’s also good friend with David Horne. 

keep your wraps tight and chalked, for isos 7 second holds are good.

buy some 60ds and drill rod, either go up in diameter or down in length. 

I would also like to clarify that I'm talking about long steel bending here and any style as well

• Like 1

Yes it's a very good way of training and yes it would be programming/logging easier also.

For developing explosive power the answer is no, steel bedning is not primarily about explosive power it's mostly about slow isometric strength. It's much more important to be able to be strong for a long period of time when you bend steel. It's not like high jump where you need a very short burst of a lot of power.

That is not to say it's useless to be explosive, it's just not the most important factor when bending.

Trying to improve the amount of time you put force on the bar in each hit is a good way of training.